all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* force save in windoze format
@ 2003-04-08  8:52 Daniel R. Anderson
From: Daniel R. Anderson @ 2003-04-08  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I know that there's a difference in text files between Windows and
*nix.  (I think it's the charechters not displayed on screen).  Is there
a way to force emacs to save in Windows format from Linux, or visa
versa?

Thanks,

Dan

* Re: force save in windoze format
       [not found] <mailman.4277.1049806606.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-08 16:25 ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-04-08 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel R. Anderson" <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I know that there's a difference in text files between Windows and
> *nix.  (I think it's the charechters not displayed on screen).  Is there
> a way to force emacs to save in Windows format from Linux, or visa
> versa?

Mostly it has to do with the way they handle the ends of lines. In any
case this is described in the emacs manual, in the section called
international, in the node called CODING SYSTEMS.

For example to save in dos format:
C-x <ret> c dos <r> C-x C-s

And to save in unix format:
C-x <ret> c unix <r> C-x C-s

Opening should be handled automatically in recent version of emacs.

Hope that helps,
Bijan