all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* overlay debugging
@ 2002-06-05  9:18 Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2002-06-05  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195)
 of 2002-03-19 on buffy
configured using `configure --with-msvc (12.00)'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: DES
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

When I want to check why a given character in a given buffer looks and
acts the way it does, I like to use M-x list-text-properties.  What I
like about it is the list of all text-properties used and their
values.  Now if the information I want is in overlays, I cannot get to
it.  I must use M-: (setq o (overlays-at (point))) switch to the
scratch buffer and test some of the properties myself explicitly,
there is no way to "just list" them.

There is an interesting function get-char-property, but that, too,
requires me to give the property.  I would like something like M-x
list-char-properties-at (with all the properties in effect at t, and
list-overlay-properties-at (with a section for every overlay at point
and every property in those overlays as structured as with
list-text-properties-at).

Alex.

Recent input:
<return>

Recent messages:
Composing main Info directory...done
Making completion list...
Info-extract-pointer: Node has no Next
call-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]
Auto-saving...done
call-interactively: Quit
Type M-x switch-to-buffer-other-window RET to restore the other window.  C-M-v to scroll the help.

* Re: overlay debugging
@ 2002-06-05 18:46 ` Colin Walters
From: Colin Walters @ 2002-06-05 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 05:18, Alex Schroeder wrote:

> When I want to check why a given character in a given buffer looks and
> acts the way it does, I like to use M-x list-text-properties.  What I
> like about it is the list of all text-properties used and their
> values.  Now if the information I want is in overlays, I cannot get to
> it.  I must use M-: (setq o (overlays-at (point))) switch to the
> scratch buffer and test some of the properties myself explicitly,
> there is no way to "just list" them.

Does the function `describe-text-at' do what you want?

* Re: overlay debugging
@ 2002-06-05 23:45   ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2002-06-05 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

walters@gnu.org (Colin Walters) writes:

> On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 05:18, Alex Schroeder wrote:
>
>> When I want to check why a given character in a given buffer looks and
>> acts the way it does, I like to use M-x list-text-properties.  What I
>> like about it is the list of all text-properties used and their
>> values.  Now if the information I want is in overlays, I cannot get to
>> it.  I must use M-: (setq o (overlays-at (point))) switch to the
>> scratch buffer and test some of the properties myself explicitly,
>> there is no way to "just list" them.
>
> Does the function `describe-text-at' do what you want?

The function seems to be undefined in GNU Emacs 21.2.90.1
(i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2002-05-28 on
confusibombus...

Alex.
--
http://www.electronicintifada.net/diaries/index.html
http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/US-Israel/hr2506c.html

* Re: overlay debugging
@ 2002-06-06  1:06     ` Colin Walters
From: Colin Walters @ 2002-06-06  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 19:45, Alex Schroeder wrote:

> The function seems to be undefined in GNU Emacs 21.2.90.1
> (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2002-05-28 on
> confusibombus...

Ah, sorry for not checking released Emacs versions.  This would explain
why it's not in 21.2:

2002-02-14  Per Abrahamsen  <abraham@dina.kvl.dk>

	* facemenu.el (describe-text-done): New function.
	[...]
	(describe-text-at): New command.

So it seems this function will come out with Emacs 21.4.