all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* strange behavior of emacs during search
@ 2019-07-19 13:10 bostjanv
From: bostjanv @ 2019-07-19 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-emacs-windows

Hi,
I'm not sure whether the problem I'm describing is specific to emacs on
Windows, or to emacs in general. Therefore, I will be sending this mail
to both forums.

I cannot explain the following behavior of emacs:

I'm using emacs on a laptop (Lenovo P71) running Windows 10. When I'm
using an external monitor, the search proceeds as expected (C-s takes
you to the next occurrence); however when I'm using the internal monitor,
things are different: one or two C-s's take you, as expected, to the
next occurrence; but the following C-s displays the Edit menu in a special
way: when one clicks on the Edit option on the menu line, the Edit menu
is displayed without the title; this time it is displayed with the title
"Edit" in boldface. Since this behavior detracts from the task at hand,
I would like to get rid of it.

Regards,
bostjanv

* Re: [h-e-w] strange behavior of emacs during search
@ 2019-07-19 14:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <CAAm34zosORvv5=wjgN19DpM=5Ney5LW=oYr6+pK_v=J0T15fmA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-07-19 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, help-emacs-windows

> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 09:10:50 -0400 (EDT)
> From: bostjanv <bostjanv@alum.mit.edu>
> Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
>
> I'm using emacs on a laptop (Lenovo P71) running Windows 10. When I'm
> using an external monitor, the search proceeds as expected (C-s takes
> you to the next occurrence); however when I'm using the internal monitor,
> things are different: one or two C-s's take you, as expected, to the
> next occurrence; but the following C-s displays the Edit menu in a special
> way: when one clicks on the Edit option on the menu line, the Edit menu
> is displayed without the title; this time it is displayed with the title
> "Edit" in boldface. Since this behavior detracts from the task at hand,
> I would like to get rid of it.

What does "C-h l" display after the Edit menu pops up?

Also, what Emacs version is that, and do you see the same problem in
"emacs -Q"?

@ 2019-07-20 13:18     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-07-20 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, help-emacs-windows

> From: Bostjan Vilfan <bjvilfan@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 14:50:14 +0200
>
> Thanks for your reply. Here are the answers to your questions: C-h l results in C-down-mouse-3- on the
> message line; the emacs version is 26.2 ; emacs -Q results in the same behavior ( C-down-mouse-3- ) on
> the message line. By the way in trying to reproduce the problem when answering your post I noticed I had to
> provide a lot  more inputs before the Edit menu appeared. Another observation: I am not even 100% sure that
> emacs is the culprit; namely, in this situation (use of internal screen) I sometimes get erratic movements of
> the cursor during which some part of the text gets changed; this type of behavior was observed at least in one
> other situations (during the reading of mail in the Firefox window).

I suspect some software unrelated to Emacs is installed on your laptop
which kicks in after several C-s keypresses.  Otherwise, I see no way
of explaining how did C-down-mouse-3- appear.