Paul Eggert wrote: > there are races on GNU/Linux which can lead to potential security problems. > Perhaps we can't fix these races on MS-Windows but we should be able to fix them > on a GNUish host. However, we will need to change the semantics of rename-file > etc. slightly, since no single system call supports the cp-like target rewriting > of these functions. I have a fix in mind to do that in a hopefully > compatible-enough way, which I'll try to propose soon. I'll keep > case-insensitive file systems in mind when I do that. Attached is a proposed patch to fix this security problem. If I understand things correctly, the fix should work on MS-Windows and on case-insensitive file systems. Since this patch entails an incompatible change to the (undocumented) behavior of (rename-file A B) when B is a directory but is not a directory name, I'll mention the proposed change on emacs-devel.