all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs for winXP
@ 2005-07-14 11:00 Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2005-07-14 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just installed emacs for winXP. But where is the .emacs file located?
I have just checked "Syntax Highlighting" and that would be stored in a
.emacs file right?

But it is nowhere to be found

* Re: emacs for winXP
@ 2005-07-14 13:17 ` kgold
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: kgold @ 2005-07-14 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's in your "home" directory, which can depend on environment variables.

The easiest way to find the directory is to edit ~ and see where it goes.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: emacs for winXP
@ 2005-07-14 13:25 ` J. David Boyd
       [not found] ` <mailman.546.1121347798.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: J. David Boyd @ 2005-07-14 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paminu" <asdad@asd.com> writes:

> I have just installed emacs for winXP. But where is the .emacs file located?
> I have just checked "Syntax Highlighting" and that would be stored in a
> .emacs file right?
>
> But it is nowhere to be found

I think it is called _emacs, (maybe .emacs), and I think it is in the
c:\Documents and Settings\<user> directory.

Dave

* Re: emacs for winXP
       [not found] ` <mailman.546.1121347798.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-07-14 14:21   ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2005-07-14 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
> "Paminu" <asdad@asd.com> writes:
>
> > I have just installed emacs for winXP. But where is the .emacs file located?
> > I have just checked "Syntax Highlighting" and that would be stored in a
> > .emacs file right?
> >
> > But it is nowhere to be found
>
> I think it is called _emacs, (maybe .emacs), and I think it is in the
> c:\Documents and Settings\<user> directory.

That's one of the places whare it might be.  It might even default
there if HOME is not set.

Back in the 20th century, Windows didn't like files starting with a
'.'.  So _emacs was supported as an alternate.  Today, .emacs is fine,
although Windows Explorer isn't pleased with it.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: emacs for winXP
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.546.1121347798.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-07-14 14:59 ` Greg Rowe
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg Rowe @ 2005-07-14 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paminu wrote:
> I have just installed emacs for winXP. But where is the .emacs file located?
> I have just checked "Syntax Highlighting" and that would be stored in a
> .emacs file right?

If your HOME environment variable is set it will be there.  Otherwise
emacs will default to C:\.  It's in FAQ.

Greg

--
Home is where the .bashrc is.

* Re: emacs for winXP
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-07-14 19:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-07-14 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Paminu" <asdad@asd.com>
> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:00:58 +0200
>
> I have just installed emacs for winXP. But where is the .emacs file located?
> I have just checked "Syntax Highlighting" and that would be stored in a
> .emacs file right?
>
> But it is nowhere to be found

Inside Emacs, type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET", and Emacs will find it for
you.

* Re: emacs for winXP
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-07-15  6:57 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-07-15  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have just installed emacs for winXP. But where is the .emacs file located?
> I have just checked "Syntax Highlighting" and that would be stored in a
> .emacs file right?

> But it is nowhere to be found

The answer's also in the FAQ, of course.

* Re: emacs for winXP
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-07-18 12:22 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-07-18 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paminu <asdad@asd.com> wrote on Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:00:58 +0200:
> I have just installed emacs for winXP. But where is the .emacs file
> located?   I have just checked "Syntax Highlighting" and that would be
> stored in a .emacs file right?

> But it is nowhere to be found

No.  It is your personal customisation file, and doesn't exist until you
create it.  Do C-x C-f, and when prompted for a file, type ~/.emacs.
(That last dot's the end of the sentence, not the end of the filename,
by the way).

Edit the file and save it.  It will do the right thing the next time you
start Emacs.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter