all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-10 17:00 Bruce Park
From: Bruce Park @ 2003-04-10 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know how I can resize the menubar in emacs21? No matter what I
do, it seems like the default size(the smallest size) is bigger than it was
in emacs20.
Also, does anyone know how I can turn off the margins in emacs21 that tells
you about line wrapping?

* Re: emacs21 config
       [not found] <mailman.4409.1049994153.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-11 12:47 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-04-11 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bruce Park" wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can resize the menubar in emacs21?

Edit ~/.Xdefaults:

!! Adjust values to taste.
Emacs.pane.menubar.margin: 0
Emacs.pane.menubar.shadowThickness: 0

xrdb ~/.Xdefaults

You might need to use slightly different resource names depending on
the toolkit your version of Emacs was built with. See the node "X
Resources" in the Emacs manual.

> Also, does anyone know how I can turn off the margins in emacs21
> that tells you about line wrapping?

Sigh. See for example

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=wkznuwdrn5.fsf%40ID-97657.usr.dfncis.de

* Re: emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-12 12:58   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-04-12 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please reply to the group / list so that others can help / learn.

"Bruce Park" wrote:

>>From: Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk>
>>
>>Edit ~/.Xdefaults:
>>
>>!! Adjust values to taste.
>>Emacs.pane.menubar.margin: 0
>>Emacs.pane.menubar.shadowThickness: 0
>>
>>xrdb ~/.Xdefaults
>
> Exactly what does this do? It didn't change the size of the menubar
> at all.

I think the "X Resources" section of the Emacs manual explains it far
better than I could.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Do you want to change the
font-size of the menubar? If so, try something like

Emacs.pane.menubar.*font: -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

All I can say is, "it works for me" (emacs-21.3,
--with-x-toolkit=athena, under X windows).

If it doesn't work for you, you need to provide more information.
What is your OS? Which Emacs version? What configuration options (see
the variable system-configuration-options)?

* Re: emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-12 16:25 Bruce Park
From: Bruce Park @ 2003-04-12 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From: Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk>
>To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>Subject: Re: emacs21 config
>Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:58:07 +0100
>

>Please reply to the group / list so that others can help / learn.
Yea, sorry about that. I'll post to the group from now on.

>"Bruce Park" wrote:
>
> >>From: Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk>
> >>
> >>Edit ~/.Xdefaults:
> >>
> >>!! Adjust values to taste.
> >>Emacs.pane.menubar.margin: 0
> >>Emacs.pane.menubar.shadowThickness: 0
> >>
> >>xrdb ~/.Xdefaults
> >
> > Exactly what does this do? It didn't change the size of the menubar
> > at all.
>
>I think the "X Resources" section of the Emacs manual explains it far
>better than I could.
Yes, I was able to manipulate the size of the menubar in emacs20.7. In
21.2-1, I'm not able to do so using the same method.

>I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Do you want to change the
>font-size of the menubar? If so, try something like
>
>Emacs.pane.menubar.*font:
>-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
>
>All I can say is, "it works for me" (emacs-21.3,
>--with-x-toolkit=athena, under X windows).
>
>If it doesn't work for you, you need to provide more information.
>What is your OS? Which Emacs version? What configuration options (see
>the variable system-configuration-options)?
I'm running debian(woody) with emacs21.-1. I only upgraded to this because
of a font problem that I was experiencing.

* Re: emacs21 config
       [not found] <mailman.4481.1050164889.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-12 17:14 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-04-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bruce Park" wrote:

> I'm running debian(woody) with emacs21.-1.

Maybe your version uses the Motif toolkit? In which case, try:

Emacs.pane.menubar.*.borderWidth.:      0

and similarly for marginBottom, marginHeight, marginLeft, marginRight,
marginTop, marginWidth.

You could try using editres to see what the resource names for your
Emacs are. Anyone know how to tell from within Emacs which X-toolkit
it was built with?

* Re: emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-14  6:22 Bruce Park
From: Bruce Park @ 2003-04-14  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From: Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk>
>To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>Subject: Re: emacs21 config
>Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:14:03 +0100
>
>"Bruce Park" wrote:
>
> > I'm running debian(woody) with emacs21.-1.
>
>Maybe your version uses the Motif toolkit? In which case, try:
>
>Emacs.pane.menubar.*.borderWidth.:      0
>
>and similarly for marginBottom, marginHeight, marginLeft, marginRight,
>marginTop, marginWidth.
When we talk about the menubar, I'm referring to the bar with File, Edit,
Options, etc. Is this the case here?
In emacs20, I was able to change this at will. The default size for this was
0 and 0 for both the height and width of it. I can't recall what I used in
my .Xdefaults file but I do remember that it worked in v20 and NOT in v21.
>You could try using editres to see what the resource names for your
>Emacs are. Anyone know how to tell from within Emacs which X-toolkit
>it was built with?
Did you compile emacs on your own? I'm using debian pre-packaged emacs21 and
I'm really not sure if I like this at all.

* Re: emacs21 config
       [not found] <mailman.4541.1050301369.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-14 10:04 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-04-14 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bruce Park" wrote:

> When we talk about the menubar, I'm referring to the bar with File,
> Edit, Options, etc. Is this the case here?

Yes, we are at least talking about the same thing.

> In emacs20, I was able to change this at will.

How did you do that?

> Did you compile emacs on your own?

Yes. With the lucid (aka athena) x-toolkit.

> I'm using debian pre-packaged emacs21 and I'm really not sure if I
> like this at all.

Maybe a Debian user (not my distro) can help you out - I'm afraid I
don't seem to be helping very much.

* Re: emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-14 16:11 Bruce Park
From: Bruce Park @ 2003-04-14 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From: Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk>
>To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>Subject: Re: emacs21 config
>Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:04:21 +0100
>
>"Bruce Park" wrote:
>
> > When we talk about the menubar, I'm referring to the bar with File,
> > Edit, Options, etc. Is this the case here?
>
>Yes, we are at least talking about the same thing.
>
> > In emacs20, I was able to change this at will.
>
>How did you do that?
emacs*borderWidth: 3

> > Did you compile emacs on your own?
>
>Yes. With the lucid (aka athena) x-toolkit.
How did do you compile with a certain the xtoolkit? I'm going to try and
build emacs20 from source since emacs20(debian prepackage) seems to have a
font problem.

> > I'm using debian pre-packaged emacs21 and I'm really not sure if I
> > like this at all.
>
>Maybe a Debian user (not my distro) can help you out - I'm afraid I
>don't seem to be helping very much.
I've asked numerous amount of debian and non debian user about my problmes
with emacs20. I even submitted a bug to debian about it but we all know how
long those things take.

* Re: emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-14 17:36   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-04-14 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glenn Morris wrote:

> You could try using editres to see what the resource names for your
> Emacs are. Anyone know how to tell from within Emacs which X-toolkit
> it was built with?

src/xnfs.c:

#ifdef USE_X_TOOLKIT
   Fprovide (intern ("x-toolkit"));
#endif
#ifdef USE_MOTIF
   Fprovide (intern ("motif"));
#endif

So (featurep 'x-toolkit) and (featurep 'motif) should tell you.

--

* Re: emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-15  9:51     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-04-15  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>> Anyone know how to tell from within Emacs which X-toolkit it was
>> built with?
[...]
> So (featurep 'x-toolkit) and (featurep 'motif) should tell you.

Great - thanks.

* Re: emacs21 config
       [not found] <mailman.4571.1050336975.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-15 10:53 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-04-15 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bruce Park" wrote:

> How did do you compile with a certain the xtoolkit? I'm going to try
> and build emacs20 from source since emacs20(debian prepackage) seems
> to have a font problem.

configure --with-x --with-x-toolkit=athena

See output of configure --help, and adjust values to taste.

You really want to compile 21 rather than 20, you know...