all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to send a mail using smtp?
@ 2004-12-19  9:11 Jack
From: Jack @ 2004-12-19  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, everybody

Can you tell me how to config my emacs to send mail by using smtp?

regards
Jack

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
@ 2004-12-19 12:29 ` Daniel Pittman
       [not found] ` <mailman.7260.1103461994.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-12-19 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Dec 2004, Jack@mail.org wrote:
> Can you tell me how to config my emacs to send mail by using smtp?

That isn't generally the best plan, since using the local sendmail will
(usually) still put things in the queue even if the server is down.

Anyway, look at the `smtpmail' package, which has help on hooking it
into whatever mail client you use -- or tell us which one and you might
get more detailed advice.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
There's no sense in being precise when you don't
even know what you're talking about.

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
@ 2004-12-19 13:08 ` D P Schreber
       [not found] ` <mailman.7260.1103461994.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: D P Schreber @ 2004-12-19 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-12-19, Jack@mail.org <Jack@mail.org> wrote:
> Can you tell me how to config my emacs to send mail by using smtp?

You mean by using a remote smtp server?  The following works for me:

(setq send-mail-function                'smtpmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function        'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server      "your.smtp.server.here"
      smtpmail-smtp-service             "smtp"
      sendmail-program                  "MAIL_NOT_SENT"
      smtpmail-debug-info               nil)

(load-library "smtpmail")

where you would of course replace "your.smtp.server.here" with the name of
your actual smtp server.

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
@ 2004-12-19 13:43   ` Jack
From: Jack @ 2004-12-19 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

D P Schreber <schreberdp@rayban.net> writes:

> On 2004-12-19, Jack@mail.org <Jack@mail.org> wrote:
> > Can you tell me how to config my emacs to send mail by using smtp?
>
> You mean by using a remote smtp server?  The following works for me:
>

> (setq send-mail-function                'smtpmail-send-it
>       message-send-mail-function        'smtpmail-send-it
>       smtpmail-default-smtp-server      "your.smtp.server.here"
>       smtpmail-smtp-service             "smtp"
>       sendmail-program                  "MAIL_NOT_SENT"
>       smtpmail-debug-info               nil)
>
> (load-library "smtpmail")
>

> where you would of course replace "your.smtp.server.here" with the name of
> your actual smtp server.

So no user info should be provided?

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
@ 2004-12-19 14:43     ` D P Schreber
From: D P Schreber @ 2004-12-19 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-12-19, Jack@mail.org <Jack@mail.org> wrote:
> So no user info should be provided?

[PLEASE edit quoted text before posting followups]

My smtp server allows authentication but doesn't require it, so in this
context I never bothered to figure out how to set it up.  If yours
requires authentication, try info for 'SMTP'. Looks like you want to set
smtpmail-auth-credentials and maybe also smtpmail-starttls-credentials.

smtpmail-auth-credentials's value is "~/.authinfo"

Specify username and password for servers, directly or via .netrc file.
This variable can either be a filename pointing to a file in netrc(5)
format, or list of four-element lists that contain, in order,
`servername' (a string), `port' (an integer), `user' (a string) and
`password' (a string, or nil to query the user when needed).  If you
need to enter a `realm' too, add it to the user string, so that it
looks like `user@realm'.

@ 2004-12-19 16:09   ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-12-19 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> On 19 Dec 2004, Jack@mail.org wrote:
>> Can you tell me how to config my emacs to send mail by using smtp?
>
> That isn't generally the best plan, since using the local sendmail will
> (usually) still put things in the queue even if the server is down.

Only on Unix systems with a functioning sendmail.  Since Emacs runs
on all platforms, there are many users without sendmail.  I use OS X
which has sendmail turned off by default, for example, and I don't
miss it in the slightest.

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
@ 2004-12-19 17:21     ` D P Schreber
From: D P Schreber @ 2004-12-19 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-12-19, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
> Only on Unix systems with a functioning sendmail.  Since Emacs runs
> on all platforms, there are many users without sendmail.  I use OS X
> which has sendmail turned off by default

I'm pretty sure the default osx configuration has MAILSERVER in
/etc/hostconfig set to "-AUTOMATIC-".   That's certainly how all my Macs
are configured, and I don't remember doing this myself.  With this
setting, no listener on port 25 will be started, but sendmail will work
fine, including queuing when necessary.  Of course you might need to
make adjustments to /etc/postfix/main.cf, particularly if your host has
a lan address.

That's not to say that osx users should necessarily use the sendmail
emacs package rather than the smtpmail package.  But they can if they
want to.

And the previous poster is right: smtpmail is not the best choice if
you're not sure the remote server is accessible at the time you're
trying to send mail.  With sendmail you don't have to worry about that.

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
@ 2004-12-19 23:04     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-12-19 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Dec 2004, Tim McNamara wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
>> On 19 Dec 2004, Jack@mail.org wrote:
>>> Can you tell me how to config my emacs to send mail by using smtp?
>>
>> That isn't generally the best plan, since using the local sendmail will
>> (usually) still put things in the queue even if the server is down.
>
> Only on Unix systems with a functioning sendmail.  Since Emacs runs
> on all platforms, there are many users without sendmail.  I use OS X
> which has sendmail turned off by default, for example, and I don't
> miss it in the slightest.

IIRC, Emacs still provides a local MTA, though.  I confess:  I used
'sendmail' as a shorthand for "a local MTA", and use Postfix myself.

In any case, using SMTP for submission in your mailer means that,
really, your mailer should implement most of the components of an MTA.

Since there are perfectly good packages out there that already implement
most of an MTA - the MTAs themselves - better to use one of them than
reinvent the wheel badly. :)

         Daniel

--
The world would be a better place if Larry Wall had been born in
Iceland, or any other country where the native language actually

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
@ 2004-12-20  0:18       ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-12-20  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Dec 2004, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2004, Tim McNamara wrote:
>> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

>>> That isn't generally the best plan, since using the local sendmail will
>>> (usually) still put things in the queue even if the server is down.
>>
>> Only on Unix systems with a functioning sendmail.  Since Emacs runs
>> on all platforms, there are many users without sendmail.  I use OS X
>> which has sendmail turned off by default, for example, and I don't
>> miss it in the slightest.
>
> IIRC, Emacs still provides a local MTA, though.  I confess:  I used
> 'sendmail' as a shorthand for "a local MTA", and use Postfix myself.

Ack.  That should read "IIRC, **MacOS-X** still provides a local MTA"

      Daniel

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
@ 2004-12-20 13:25       ` Jianbo Zhu
From: Jianbo Zhu @ 2004-12-20 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

D P Schreber <schreberdp@rayban.net> writes:

> On 2004-12-19, Jack@mail.org <Jack@mail.org> wrote:
> > So no user info should be provided?
>
> [PLEASE edit quoted text before posting followups]
>
> My smtp server allows authentication but doesn't require it, so in this
> context I never bothered to figure out how to set it up.  If yours
> requires authentication, try info for 'SMTP'. Looks like you want to set
> smtpmail-auth-credentials and maybe also smtpmail-starttls-credentials.
>

> smtpmail-auth-credentials's value is "~/.authinfo"
>
> Specify username and password for servers, directly or via .netrc file.
> This variable can either be a filename pointing to a file in netrc(5)
> format, or list of four-element lists that contain, in order,
> `servername' (a string), `port' (an integer), `user' (a string) and
> `password' (a string, or nil to query the user when needed).  If you
> need to enter a `realm' too, add it to the user string, so that it
> looks like `user@realm'.

I've got the following error while I try to send a message.

You are not authorized to send mail as <MAIL FROM: <mouse0407@163.com>>, authentication is require

This is part of my .emacs file:

(require ' smtpmail)
(setq send-mail-function                'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function        'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server      "smtp.163.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.163.com")
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '("smtp.163.com" 25 "mouse0407@163.com" "*****"))

Can you tell me what I had missed?

@ 2004-12-20 22:02         ` Duane Winner
From: Duane Winner @ 2004-12-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jianbo Zhu wrote:
> D P Schreber <schreberdp@rayban.net> writes:
>

>>On 2004-12-19, Jack@mail.org <Jack@mail.org> wrote:
>>
>>>So no user info should be provided?
>>
>>[PLEASE edit quoted text before posting followups]
>>
>>My smtp server allows authentication but doesn't require it, so in this
>>context I never bothered to figure out how to set it up.  If yours
>>requires authentication, try info for 'SMTP'. Looks like you want to set
>>smtpmail-auth-credentials and maybe also smtpmail-starttls-credentials.
>>

>>smtpmail-auth-credentials's value is "~/.authinfo"
>>
>>Specify username and password for servers, directly or via .netrc file.
>>This variable can either be a filename pointing to a file in netrc(5)
>>format, or list of four-element lists that contain, in order,
>>`servername' (a string), `port' (an integer), `user' (a string) and
>>`password' (a string, or nil to query the user when needed).  If you
>>need to enter a `realm' too, add it to the user string, so that it
>>looks like `user@realm'.
>>

> I've got the following error while I try to send a message.
>
> You are not authorized to send mail as <MAIL FROM: <mouse0407@163.com>>, authentication is require
>

> This is part of my .emacs file:
>
> (require ' smtpmail)
> (setq send-mail-function                'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq message-send-mail-function        'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server      "smtp.163.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.163.com")
> (setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '("smtp.163.com" 25 "mouse0407@163.com" "*****"))
>
> Can you tell me what I had missed?

I have been trying to get smtpmail to work with authentication, and have
been having the same problem. I also posted a question over on
gnu.emacs.vm.info looking for a solution.

Hopefully someone will have an answer to this.

Cheers,
Duane

@ 2004-12-21  6:50           ` Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2004-12-21  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duane Winner <duanewinner@att.net> wrote in

> I have been trying to get smtpmail to work with authentication, and
> have been having the same problem.

I was told that a newer version of smtpmail.el was necessary to get this to
work.  I think the version that worked came from
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
@ 2004-12-21 15:26             ` Duane Winner
From: Duane Winner @ 2004-12-21 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Babcock wrote:
> Duane Winner <duanewinner@att.net> wrote in
>

>>I have been trying to get smtpmail to work with authentication, and
>>have been having the same problem.
>

> I was told that a newer version of smtpmail.el was necessary to get this to
> work.  I think the version that worked came from
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/

I grabbed this and put it in
/usr/local/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el (replacing current
version).

Still have the problem, though.

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp? - solved! (but need help with "Mail From:")
@ 2004-12-21 18:51               ` Duane Winner
From: Duane Winner @ 2004-12-21 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duane Winner wrote:
> Bob Babcock wrote:
>
>> Duane Winner <duanewinner@att.net> wrote in
>>
>>> I have been trying to get smtpmail to work with authentication, and
>>> have been having the same problem.
>>

>> I was told that a newer version of smtpmail.el was necessary to get
>> this to work.  I think the version that worked came from
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/
>

> I grabbed this and put it in
> /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el (replacing current
> version).
>
> Still have the problem, though.

OK -- good news: I got authentication working with smtpmail.el  -- I
didn't realize that I needed to byte-compile smtpmail.el. I am now
connecting to my ISP's smtp  server and successfully authenticating and
sending.

But now I am having a problem with the "From:" format. All of my
outbound emails are addressed as "From: me@localhost" instead of being
rewritten the proper user@domain (myaccount@myisp.net)

First, how I got authentication working:

1. Download the latest smtpmail.el from:
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/
to a temporary directory to which you have read/write privs.

2. In emacs, type:
M-x byte-compile-file <RETURN>
Enter <path-to>/smtpmail.el

3. Now have an smtpmail.el and smtpmail.elc. Copy them to
/usr/local/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/mail
(This is my path on FreeBSD 5.2.1 -- change to your correct path).

4. My obfuscated .emacs:
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;; Please add these lines in your .emacs(_emacs) or use customize.
;;
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; if you use `mail'
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "localhost")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "att.net")
(setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "att.net")
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
       '(("localhost" 465 "myaccountname" "mypassword")))
;;(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
;;      '(("YOUR SMTP HOST" 25 "~/.my_smtp_tls.key" "~/.my_smtp_tls.cert")))
;; Where the 25 equals the value of `smtpmail-smtp-service', it can be an
;; integer or a string, just as long as they match (eq).
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Note I am going to localhost on port 465 -- this is because my ISP uses
SSL. I am using an stunnel connection from my localhost:465 to
myisp:465. Next step: see if smtpmail-startttls-credentials works so I
don't have to use stunnel.

5. My debug output:

MAIL FROM:<dwinner@localhost> SIZE=212^M
250 ok^M
RCPT TO:<duanewinner@att.net>^M
250 ok^M
DATA^M
354 ok^M
Date: 21 Dec 2004 13:44:29 -0500^M
From: Duane Winner <dwinner@localhost>^M
To: duanewinner@att.net^M
Subject: test #328^M
^M
more test stuff^M
from me^M
.^M
250 ok ; id=2004122118443011100j8luue^M
QUIT^M
221 myisp.isp.net^M

6. So now my only problem is controlling the "MAIL FROM:" and "From:"
fields so that they return "myispaccountname@myisp.domain.net" instead
of "mylocalaccountname@mylocalhost".

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Duane

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp? - solved! (but need help with "Mail From:")
@ 2004-12-21 19:12                 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-12-21 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duane Winner <duanewinner@att.net> writes:

> 6. So now my only problem is controlling the "MAIL FROM:" and "From:"
>    fields so that they return "myispaccountname@myisp.domain.net"
>    instead of "mylocalaccountname@mylocalhost".
> Any ideas?

Try this in your .emacs or .gnus:

  (setq user-full-name "Duane Winner")
  (setq user-mail-address "duanewinner@att.net)

Also, for authenticated SMTP, I use (obfuscated to protect the
innocent):

  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
  (eval-after-load "mail-source"
  '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "pop.myisp.com"
                                    :user "my-email@address"
                                    :password "mypassword")))
  (require 'smtpmail)
  (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
  (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.myserver.com")
  (setq smtpmail-local-domain "myisp.tld")
  (setq smtpmail-queue-mail nil)
  (setq smtpmail-debug-info nil)
  (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("smtp.myserver.com" 25 "myusername" "mypassword")))

Which seems to work just dandy.

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp? - solved! (but need help with "Mail From:")
@ 2004-12-21 19:28                 ` Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2004-12-21 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 6. So now my only problem is controlling the "MAIL FROM:" and "From:"
> fields so that they return "myispaccountname@myisp.domain.net" instead
> of "mylocalaccountname@mylocalhost".

There's probably a better way, but for a long time I have been using the
following hook to insert the From: and Reply-to: lines.  (Note that I'm
doing this in emacs 20.7.  My ISP isn't yet _requiring_ authenticated smtp,
so while I've gotten it to work in 21.3, I haven't moved everything else to
that version yet.)

(add-hook 'mail-setup-hook
  (function
    (lambda ()
      (setq fill-column 77)
      (turn-on-auto-fill)
      (save-excursion
        (progn
          (goto-char (point-min))
          (forward-line 1)
          (insert "From: My Name <username@domain.net>\n")))
      (save-excursion
        (progn
          (goto-char (point-max))
          (forward-line -1)
          (insert "Reply-to: username@domain.net\n")))
      (setq tab-width 8))))

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp? - solved! (but need help with "Mail From:")
@ 2004-12-21 22:48                   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-12-21 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Babcock wrote:
 > There's probably a better way, but for a long time I have been using the
 > following hook to insert the From: and Reply-to: lines.  (Note that I'm
 > doing this in emacs 20.7.  My ISP isn't yet _requiring_ authenticated
smtp,
 > so while I've gotten it to work in 21.3, I haven't moved everything
else to
 > that version yet.)
 >
 > (add-hook 'mail-setup-hook
 >   (function
 >     (lambda ()
 >       (setq fill-column 77)
 >       (turn-on-auto-fill)
 >       (save-excursion
 >         (progn
 >           (goto-char (point-min))
 >           (forward-line 1)
 >           (insert "From: My Name <username@domain.net>\n")))
 >       (save-excursion
 >         (progn
 >           (goto-char (point-max))
 >           (forward-line -1)
 >           (insert "Reply-to: username@domain.net\n")))
 >       (setq tab-width 8))))

Yes, there's a better way, since Emacs has anticipated your problems and
provided variables to solve them:

(setq user-full-name "My Name"
       user-mail-address "username@domain.net"
       mail-default-reply-to user-mail-address
       mail-from-style  'angles)

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp? - solved! (but need help with "Mail From:")
@ 2004-12-22  4:25                     ` Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2004-12-22  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Yes, there's a better way, since Emacs has anticipated your problems
> and provided variables to solve them:
>
> (setq user-full-name "My Name"
>        user-mail-address "username@domain.net"
>        mail-default-reply-to user-mail-address
>        mail-from-style  'angles)

That's what happens when you migrate .emacs from release to release over a
period of years; you end up with stuff that is no longer necessary.  On the
other hand, the above elisp (in emacs 20.3 rmail) doesn't insert the From:
line until the mail is sent.  I like to see it during message composition.

* Re: How to send a mail using smtp? - solved! (but need help with "Mail From:")
@ 2004-12-22 17:58                       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-12-22 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Babcock wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>Yes, there's a better way, since Emacs has anticipated your problems
>>and provided variables to solve them:
>>
>>(setq user-full-name "My Name"
>>       user-mail-address "username@domain.net"
>>       mail-default-reply-to user-mail-address
>>       mail-from-style  'angles)
>

> That's what happens when you migrate .emacs from release to release over a
> period of years; you end up with stuff that is no longer necessary.  On the
> other hand, the above elisp (in emacs 20.3 rmail) doesn't insert the From:
> line until the mail is sent.  I like to see it during message composition.

C-h v mail-default-headers

--
Kevin Rodgers