all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Windows: interactive SSH shell buffer?
@ 2010-06-17 10:46 Elena
From: Elena @ 2010-06-17 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

is there a way to get an interactive SSH shell in Emacs from a Windows
XP client?

I'm currently using Putty outside of Emacs, but I'd like to use an
interactive Emacs buffer. I have tried "M-x shell" and then running
Putty, but Putty input/output does not get redirected to Emacs.

emacs-version: "23.1.1"

Thanks.

* Re: Windows: interactive SSH shell buffer?
@ 2010-06-17 10:55 ` Elena
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Elena @ 2010-06-17 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've tried "M-x term RET", it shows this prompt: "Run program: C:/
Programmi/Emacs/bin/cmdproxy.exe", I hit RET, but it fails with:
"Spawning child process: invalid argument" ("cmdproxy.exe" runs fine
from a console outside Emacs).

* Re: Windows: interactive SSH shell buffer?
@ 2010-06-17 13:55 ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2010-06-17 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Well, I've found CopSSH, which is an OpenSSH port to Windows (console
based), Cygwin based. Now I'm wrestling to make it work with my
NTEmacs. If I manage to make it work, I'll make you know.

* Re: Windows: interactive SSH shell buffer?
@ 2010-06-17 14:47 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2010-06-17 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> is there a way to get an interactive SSH shell in Emacs from a Windows
> XP client?
>
> I'm currently using Putty outside of Emacs, but I'd like to use an
> interactive Emacs buffer. I have tried "M-x shell" and then running
> Putty, but Putty input/output does not get redirected to Emacs.
>
> emacs-version: "23.1.1"
>

> Thanks.

Using cygwin + bash + ssh should work, I guess.

-ap

* Re: Windows: interactive SSH shell buffer?
@ 2010-06-17 15:32   ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2010-06-17 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 17 Giu, 14:47, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
> Using cygwin + bash + ssh should work, I guess.

My understanding is that CopSSH is such an environment already.

"(shell)" does work with both "sh" and "bash" which come with CopSSH:

(let ((explicit-shell-file-name "C:/Programmi/CopSSH/Bin/sh.exe")
		  )
		(shell))

However, when I try to run "ssh" either the same way:

	(let ((explicit-shell-file-name "C:/Programmi/CopSSH/Bin/ssh.exe")
		  (explicit-ssh.exe-args '("root@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"))
		  )
		(shell))

or via "*shell*" buffer, I get this error:

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
bash: [4796: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device

[2]+  Stopped                 ssh root@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

* Re: Windows: interactive SSH shell buffer?
@ 2010-06-17 15:45     ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2010-06-17 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 17 Giu, 15:32, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get this error:
>
> Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
> bash: [4796: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> [2]+  Stopped                 ssh r...@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

It seems it's a known issue:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/tramp/Windows-setup-hints.html

* Re: Windows: interactive SSH shell buffer?
@ 2010-06-17 15:51   ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2010-06-17 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> is there a way to get an interactive SSH shell in Emacs from a Windows
>> XP client?
>>
>> I'm currently using Putty outside of Emacs, but I'd like to use an
>> interactive Emacs buffer. I have tried "M-x shell" and then running
>> Putty, but Putty input/output does not get redirected to Emacs.
>>
>> emacs-version: "23.1.1"
>>

>> Thanks.
>
> Using cygwin + bash + ssh should work, I guess.

And supports an agent, even.

* Re: Windows: interactive SSH shell buffer?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-06-17 16:34 ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2010-06-17 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've just learned that "plink.exe" is the command line interface of
Putty ("putty.exe" is not a console application).

"plink.exe" works interactively from a "*shell*" buffer, however
spurious characters sequences with a "^" prefix appear into output. I
guess I have to tweak some settings.

* Re: Windows: interactive SSH shell buffer?
@ 2010-07-15 10:58     ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2010-07-15 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 17, 3:51 pm, Lowell Gilbert <lguse...@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> > Using cygwin + bash +sshshould work, I guess.
>
> And supports an agent, even.

No, it doesn't work.