On 18/05/2020 12.08, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > On second thought, I think I misunderstood you. If the font that is > used shows "ffi" as a _single_ glyph ffi, and LibreOffice indeed > highlights parts of this glyph, then I'd like to know how it does > that, and how far does this capability extend. I mean, what does it > do with ligatures like ae, displayed as æ -- does it highlight the > common vertical stroke for both parts? And what about "st", displayed > as st -- this has a curved "hand" connecting s and t -- to which of the > 2 does it belong for the purposes of highlighting? There's also "hv" > displayed as ƕ, let alone "fs" displayed as ẞ and "fz" displayed as > ß. I've attached a screenshot with a few examples, though I couldn't find a font that displays ae as æ. Firefox does the same as LibreOffice (try it here, for example: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/font-variant-ligatures). Since Firefox uses Harbuzz, I think there's a good chance we can support that feature too :)