all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Change modifier keys
@ 2010-01-28 16:36 Brandon Waskiewicz
From: Brandon Waskiewicz @ 2010-01-28 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Would anyone familiar with the emacs' source be willing to help me create a
patch that changes the ALT key on standard PC keyboards to function as if it
were CONTROL? I started tracing back from mac-command-modifier to try and
find something either more cross-platform, or at least applicable to Linux,
but I had no luck.

Thanks,
Brandon

* Re: Change modifier keys
       [not found] <mailman.381.1264707181.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-28 21:57 ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2010-01-28 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 28 Sty, 17:36, Brandon Waskiewicz <brandon.waskiew...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would anyone familiar with the emacs' source be willing to help me create a
> patch that changes the ALT key on standard PC keyboards to function as if it
> were CONTROL? I started tracing back from mac-command-modifier to try and
(...)

You may want to have a look here:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MovingTheCtrlKey

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail.com
"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
(Quarry worker's creed)

@ 2010-01-28 22:59 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-01-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Brandon Waskiewicz <brandon.waskiewicz@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Would anyone familiar with the emacs' source be willing to help me
> create a patch that changes the ALT key on standard PC keyboards to
> function as if it were CONTROL? I started tracing back from
> mac-command-modifier to try and find something either more
> cross-platform, or at least applicable to Linux, but I had no luck.
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon

Given that control is fundamental to emacs, where do you plan to map it
to?

Are you running under X? If so, depending on what you are trying to do,
I'd look at xmodmap and change things there rather than trying to change
things in emacs.

I have to say, it seems like an odd request given that control is used a
lot more than alt. Maybe you want to consider swapping alt and caps lock
- this is a common config change that is documented in a few places
(might even be in the fAQ).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2010-01-29  4:15 ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-01-29  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 28, 9:36 pm, Brandon Waskiewicz <brandon.waskiew...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would anyone familiar with the emacs' source be willing to help me create a
> patch that changes the ALT key on standard PC keyboards to function as if it
> were CONTROL? I started tracing back from mac-command-modifier to try and
> find something either more cross-platform, or at least applicable to Linux,
> but I had no luck.
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon

[Assuming a debian-like  (ubuntu?) system and gnome]
I was playing around with this yesterday and you may want to look at
System -> Preferences -> keyboard (not keyboard shortcuts) -> layouts -
> layout options
though exactly what you want is not there as far as I can see.

I also have a similar question:
I would like to swap control and capslock
I can do this and it works, however the keyboard capslock light
behaves as though this change is not made and is therefore misleading

* Re: Change modifier keys
@ 2010-01-29  9:51   ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2010-01-29  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 29 Sty, 05:15, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
(...)
> I also have a similar question:
> I would like to swap control and capslock
> I can do this and it works, however the keyboard capslock light
> behaves as though this change is not made and is therefore misleading

I use the following in my Xmodmap configuration for swapping capslock
and escape (I'm a viper user):

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keycode 66  = Escape
keycode 9   = Caps_Lock
add Lock    = Caps_Lock

with this the capslock LED works as intended (ie. when pressing esc).

Hope it helps,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail.com

@ 2010-01-30 10:50     ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-01-30 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 29, 2:51 pm, José A. Romero L. <escherdra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 Sty, 05:15, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
>
> > I also have a similar question:
> > I would like to swap control and capslock
> > I can do this and it works, however the keyboard capslock light
> > behaves as though this change is not made and is therefore misleading
>
> I use the following in my Xmodmap configuration for swapping capslock
> and escape (I'm a viper user):
>
> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> keycode 66  = Escape
> keycode 9   = Caps_Lock
> add Lock    = Caps_Lock
>
> with this the capslock LED works as intended (ie. when pressing esc).
>
> Hope it helps,
> --
> José A. Romero L.
> escherdragon at gmail.com
> "We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
> (Quarry worker's creed)

Thanks.
Since I prefer to use capslock as a second control and leave control
alone
Ive got (from http://www.paganini.net/index.cgi/linux/nocaps.html )

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Control = Control_L

[I'll add this to the wiki if it seems right]