all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Special character Emacs
@ 2008-06-07 14:43 Andreas Wittmann
From: Andreas Wittmann @ 2008-06-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello everybody,

i'm using Emacs 21.4.1 with ubuntu hardy, today i established that it
isn't possible for me to use the '^'-sign in emacs. Especially i ned
this character very often when working with LaTeX or R. Can someone
give me a hint what to do here? I guess there's something missing in
the .emacs-file? I have a Samsung R50 laptop with a german keybord.
I found out that if i do 'C-x 8' then it is possible to do the ^ sign,
but i
would be much better if this is also possible after loading emacs.

Here's my .emacs.file

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/
paste it!
 '(case-fold-search t)
 '(column-number-mode t)
 '(current-language-environment "German")
 '(default-input-method "german-postfix")
 '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
 '(iso-accents-mode t)
 '(iso-accents-customize "german")
 '(iso-ascii-convenient t)
 '(latin1-display t nil (latin1-disp))
 '(line-number-mode t)
 '(mouse-wheel-mode t nil (mwheel))
 '(paren-mode (quote paren) nil (paren))
 '(pc-selection-mode t nil (pc-select))
 '(show-paren-mode t nil (paren))
 '(standard-indent 2)
 '(tab-always-indent nil)
 '(tab-width 2)
 '(truncate-lines t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
 '(default ((t (:size "10pt" :family "Courier New")))))

Thank you and best regards

Andreas

* Re: Special character Emacs
@ 2008-06-07 16:11 ` B. T. Raven
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: B. T. Raven @ 2008-06-07 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Wittmann wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> i'm using Emacs 21.4.1 with ubuntu hardy, today i established that it
> isn't possible for me to use the '^'-sign in emacs. Especially i ned
> this character very often when working with LaTeX or R. Can someone
> give me a hint what to do here? I guess there's something missing in
> the .emacs-file? I have a Samsung R50 laptop with a german keybord.
> I found out that if i do 'C-x 8' then it is possible to do the ^ sign,
> but i
> would be much better if this is also possible after loading emacs.
>

> Here's my .emacs.file
>
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/
> paste it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  '(case-fold-search t)
>  '(column-number-mode t)
>  '(current-language-environment "German")
>  '(default-input-method "german-postfix")
>  '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
>  '(iso-accents-mode t)
>  '(iso-accents-customize "german")
>  '(iso-ascii-convenient t)
>  '(latin1-display t nil (latin1-disp))
>  '(line-number-mode t)
>  '(mouse-wheel-mode t nil (mwheel))
>  '(paren-mode (quote paren) nil (paren))
>  '(pc-selection-mode t nil (pc-select))
>  '(show-paren-mode t nil (paren))
>  '(standard-indent 2)
>  '(tab-always-indent nil)
>  '(tab-width 2)
>  '(truncate-lines t))
> (custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
> it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  '(default ((t (:size "10pt" :family "Courier New")))))
>
> Thank you and best regards
>
> Andreas

If this is the caret (on 6 key on American keyboards) then you could
certainly just assign an unused key or key combo to this character using
define-key or global-set-key:

(global-set-key [f6] (lambda () (interactive) (insert  ?^ )))

Put in .emacs or evaluate with C-x C-e

But the gurus will certainly have something more elegant.

Ed

* Re: Special character Emacs
@ 2008-06-07 17:51 ` Joel J. Adamson
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-07 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Wittmann; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Wittmann <andreas_wittmann@gmx.de> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> i'm using Emacs 21.4.1 with ubuntu hardy,

That's a pretty old version.  If this is your system, try the
emacs-snapshot package, or contact your administrator and tell him to
get with the program ;)

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson
(303) 880-3109

* Re: Special character Emacs
@ 2008-06-07 18:30 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-06-07 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Wittmann; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Wittmann <andreas_wittmann@gmx.de> wrote:

> i'm using Emacs 21.4.1 with ubuntu hardy, today i established that it
> isn't possible for me to use the '^'-sign in emacs.

What does that mean?  Does nothing happen at all?  Does C-h k ^ say
anything?

Are you using emacs from the terminal?  If so, does ^ work in the
shell?

I'm assuming you're using a German keyboard layout.  Does it work using
an US keyboard layout.  Might ^ be configured as a dead key?

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Special character Emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-06-07 20:29 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.12877.1212872649.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.12866.1212863417.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2008-06-07 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 07:43:31 -0700 (PDT) Andreas Wittmann wrote:

> i'm using Emacs 21.4.1 with ubuntu hardy, today i established that it
> isn't possible for me to use the '^'-sign in emacs.

That sounds more like an X problem to me.  Long time ago since I used a
German layout, but I remember that there where problems getting X to
make this pesky key work.

> Especially i ned this character very often when working with LaTeX or
> R. Can someone give me a hint what to do here?

Seriously, switch to an US layout.  TeX with a German layout gives you
cancer in the hand.  All these \[{}] are just impossible to type.
Auctex and ispell work well with `"u' style umlauts.

David

* Re: Special character Emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.12877.1212872649.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-07 22:41   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-06-07 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Andreas Wittmann <andreas_wittmann@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> i'm using Emacs 21.4.1 with ubuntu hardy,
>
> That's a pretty old version.  If this is your system, try the
> emacs-snapshot package, or contact your administrator and tell him to
> get with the program ;)

Hardy has emacs22-gtk (for example).  No need for the snapshot except
that it is cool.

* Re: Special character Emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.12866.1212863417.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-08 12:12   ` Andreas Wittmann
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12917.1212956341.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Wittmann @ 2008-06-08 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

thank you for all answers. i now installed the emacs-snapshot package
and it works great, but i still have the same problem, the ^  doesnt
work,
it says "<dead-circumflex is undefined>" how can i define it?

best regards

andreas

* Re: Special character Emacs
@ 2008-06-08 18:21     ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-08 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>
>> Andreas Wittmann <andreas_wittmann@gmx.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> i'm using Emacs 21.4.1 with ubuntu hardy,
>>
>> That's a pretty old version.  If this is your system, try the
>> emacs-snapshot package, or contact your administrator and tell him to
>> get with the program ;)
>
> Hardy has emacs22-gtk (for example).  No need for the snapshot except
> that it is cool.

Even better.  I'll add, as I often do, that I use Emacs 23 on Slackware
12.1, updated weekly and I have had no major problems.  The one time I
had a weird error, I just rolled back to the previous week's package.

Joel

From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-08 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2008-06-08 20:18     ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12917.1212956341.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-06-08 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Wittmann; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Wittmann <andreas_wittmann@gmx.de> wrote:

> it says "<dead-circumflex is undefined>" how can i define it?

As I guessed earlier, your ^ is a dead key.  (Next time, please post any
error messages right away.)

Most likely you didn't want it to be a dead key in the first place.  You
can fix that by selecting the eliminate-dead-keys keyboard layout
variant in Ubuntu.

However, in my clean install of Ubuntu, Emacs 22 handles dead keys just
fine.  (That is, it ignores dead-circumflex.)  Please verify that the
error occurs with emacs -Q, and please answer my earlier question on
whether you run emacs from the terminal.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Special character Emacs
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12917.1212956341.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-14 14:11       ` Andreas Wittmann
       [not found]         ` <mailman.13269.1213461061.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Wittmann @ 2008-06-14 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8 Jun., 22:18, Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumac...@web.de> wrote:
> Andreas Wittmann <andreas_wittm...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > it says "<dead-circumflex is undefined>" how can i define it?
>
> As I guessed earlier, your ^ is a dead key.  (Next time, please post any
> error messages right away.)
>
> Most likely you didn't want it to be a dead key in the first place.  You
> can fix that by selecting the eliminate-dead-keys keyboard layout
> variant in Ubuntu.
>
> However, in my clean install of Ubuntu, Emacs 22 handles dead keys just
> fine.  (That is, it ignores dead-circumflex.)  Please verify that the
> error occurs with emacs -Q, and please answer my earlier question on
> whether you run emacs from the terminal.
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

Hi Nikolaj,

i run emacs with "emacs-snapshot-gtk" from the terminal. Starting with
"emacs-snapshot-gtk -Q" has as far as i can see no effect.
where is the eliminate-dead-keys keyboard?

best regards

Andreas

* Re: Special character Emacs
@ 2008-06-14 16:30         ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found]         ` <mailman.13269.1213461061.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-06-14 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Wittmann; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Wittmann <andreas_wittmann@gmx.de> wrote:

> i run emacs with "emacs-snapshot-gtk" from the terminal. Starting with
> "emacs-snapshot-gtk -Q" has as far as i can see no effect.

The terminal sometimes messes keys up.  I believe in this case, Emacs
shouldn't be receiving the keystroke at all, but my knowledge in this
area is limited.  If it behaves correctly in other terminal apps, I'd
report an Emacs bug to be sure.

> where is the eliminate-dead-keys keyboard?

In Gnome:
System > Keyboard > Layouts > Layout Options > Add

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Special character Emacs
       [not found]         ` <mailman.13269.1213461061.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-14 17:08           ` Andreas Wittmann
From: Andreas Wittmann @ 2008-06-14 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 14 Jun., 18:30, Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumac...@web.de> wrote:
> Andreas Wittmann <andreas_wittm...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > i run emacs with "emacs-snapshot-gtk" from the terminal. Starting with
> > "emacs-snapshot-gtk -Q" has as far as i can see no effect.
>
> The terminal sometimes messes keys up.  I believe in this case, Emacs
> shouldn't be receiving the keystroke at all, but my knowledge in this
> area is limited.  If it behaves correctly in other terminal apps, I'd
> report an Emacs bug to be sure.
>
> > where is the eliminate-dead-keys keyboard?
>
> In Gnome:
> System > Keyboard > Layouts > Layout Options > Add
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

Hi Nikolaj, after activating "eliminate-dead-keys" everything works
fine:-)

Thank you so much!

best regards

Andreas