all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* nXML questions
@ 2009-11-02 21:59 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2009-11-02 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Now that nXML is the default xml mode instead of the old sgml-mode, I am
wondering it its manual could be brought up to date, e.g., answering the
question which bothers me right now:

how do I tell nxml that I have a compound docbook document consisting of a few
files included into the master file using system entities, when editing a
component file? nxml does not recognize any of the entities, defined in the
master file.

also, nxml seems to think that the <code> element and the language= attribute
of the <programlisting> element are invalid. why?

also, it does not recognize <xi:include> elements. why?

thanks!

Sam.

* Re: nXML questions
@ 2009-11-03 10:59 ` Andreas Roehler
From: Andreas Roehler @ 2009-11-03 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sam Steingold wrote:
> Now that nXML is the default xml mode instead of the old sgml-mode, I am
> wondering it its manual could be brought up to date, e.g., answering the
> question which bothers me right now:
>
> how do I tell nxml that I have a compound docbook document consisting of
> a few files included into the master file using system entities, when
> editing a component file? nxml does not recognize any of the entities,
> defined in the master file.
>
> also, nxml seems to think that the <code> element and the language=
> attribute of the <programlisting> element are invalid. why?
>
> also, it does not recognize <xi:include> elements. why?
>
> thanks!
>
> Sam.

Hi,

AFAIU nxml is designed exclusively to edit XML Schema files.
XML Schema don't use a DTD as docbook does.

You should be able to restore DTD-modes with

M-x sgml-mode

Also this should be customizable.

If not, it's a bug IMHO.

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode.el/

* Re: nXML questions
@ 2009-11-03 11:39   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-03 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Roehler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Sam Steingold

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Andreas Roehler
<andreas.roehler@online.de> wrote:
> Sam Steingold wrote:
>> Now that nXML is the default xml mode instead of the old sgml-mode, I am
>> wondering it its manual could be brought up to date, e.g., answering the
>> question which bothers me right now:
>>
>> how do I tell nxml that I have a compound docbook document consisting of
>> a few files included into the master file using system entities, when
>> editing a component file? nxml does not recognize any of the entities,
>> defined in the master file.
>>
>> also, nxml seems to think that the <code> element and the language=
>> attribute of the <programlisting> element are invalid. why?
>>
>> also, it does not recognize <xi:include> elements. why?
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> Sam.
>

> Hi,
>
> AFAIU nxml is designed exclusively to edit XML Schema files.
> XML Schema don't use a DTD as docbook does.

That sounds a bit strange. Is there a misunderstanding there?

You can for example edit XHTML files with nXml. It uses the DTD, but
it have to have it converted to an .rng file. Please see the home page
for nXml for more information about how to convert a DTD to a .rng
file.

A .rng file for DocBook comes with Emacs. However there are several
DocBook DTDs. There are perhaps also some things that nXml does not
cover fully, but I do not know this well.

@ 2009-11-03 13:26     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2009-11-03 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Sam Steingold

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Andreas Roehler
> <andreas.roehler@online.de> wrote:
>> Sam Steingold wrote:
>>> Now that nXML is the default xml mode instead of the old sgml-mode, I am
>>> wondering it its manual could be brought up to date, e.g., answering the
>>> question which bothers me right now:
>>>
>>> how do I tell nxml that I have a compound docbook document consisting of
>>> a few files included into the master file using system entities, when
>>> editing a component file? nxml does not recognize any of the entities,
>>> defined in the master file.
>>>
>>> also, nxml seems to think that the <code> element and the language=
>>> attribute of the <programlisting> element are invalid. why?
>>>
>>> also, it does not recognize <xi:include> elements. why?
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>
>>> Sam.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> AFAIU nxml is designed exclusively to edit XML Schema files.
>> XML Schema don't use a DTD as docbook does.
>

> That sounds a bit strange. Is there a misunderstanding there?

Hi Lennart,

that's fairly possible. Just exploring this matter.
Thanks for your help.

Andreas

@ 2009-11-03 14:47     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Lennart Borgman', 'Andreas Roehler'
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, 'Sam Steingold'

> > AFAIU nxml is designed exclusively to edit XML Schema files.
> > XML Schema don't use a DTD as docbook does.
>
> That sounds a bit strange. Is there a misunderstanding there?
>
> You can for example edit XHTML files with nXml. It uses the DTD, but
> it have to have it converted to an .rng file. Please see the home page
> for nXml for more information about how to convert a DTD to a .rng
> file.
>
> A .rng file for DocBook comes with Emacs. However there are several
> DocBook DTDs. There are perhaps also some things that nXml does not
> cover fully, but I do not know this well.

I'm no expert on nxml, but I thought that it did *not* support XML Schema. I
thought it only supported Relax NG and DTDs (and maybe some other things).

I wish it did support XML Schema.

* Re: nXML questions
@ 2009-11-03 21:24   ` Stephen Langer
From: Stephen Langer @ 2009-11-03 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 3, 2009, at 5:59 AM, Andreas Roehler wrote:

> Sam Steingold wrote:
>> Now that nXML is the default xml mode instead of the old sgml-mode,
>> I am
>> wondering it its manual could be brought up to date, e.g.,
>> answering the
>> question which bothers me right now:
>>
>> how do I tell nxml that I have a compound docbook document
>> consisting of
>> a few files included into the master file using system entities, when
>> editing a component file? nxml does not recognize any of the
>> entities,
>> defined in the master file.

I asked this question a few weeks ago and got no replies.  I'm glad
I'm not the only one interested, at least.  Does anyone have an answer?

Thanks.

-- Steve

--
-- stephen.langer@nist.gov                    Tel: (301) 975-5423 --
-- http://math.nist.gov/mcsd/Staff/SLanger/   Fax: (301) 975-3553 --

-- "I don't think this will work.  That's why it's science."      --
--                     Naomi Langer (age 6),  17 Feb 2003         --

* Re: nXML questions
@ 2009-11-03 21:32     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-03 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stephen Langer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Stephen Langer <stephen.langer@nist.gov> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2009, at 5:59 AM, Andreas Roehler wrote:
>
>> Sam Steingold wrote:
>>>
>>> Now that nXML is the default xml mode instead of the old sgml-mode, I am
>>> wondering it its manual could be brought up to date, e.g., answering the
>>> question which bothers me right now:
>>>
>>> how do I tell nxml that I have a compound docbook document consisting of
>>> a few files included into the master file using system entities, when
>>> editing a component file? nxml does not recognize any of the entities,
>>> defined in the master file.
>

> I asked this question a few weeks ago and got no replies.  I'm glad I'm not
> the only one interested, at least.  Does anyone have an answer?

Is it the same question that was asked on EmacsWiki here under
Multi-File Documents?

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UsingNxmlModeWithDocBook

There was a suggestion to ask on the nXml mailing list, but no one has
come back with an answer. Maybe there is an answer on that
mailing-list? If someone finds it, please add it to EmacsWiki!

* Re: nXML questions
@ 2009-11-04 14:59       ` Stephen Langer
From: Stephen Langer @ 2009-11-04 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Nov 3, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Stephen Langer <stephen.langer@nist.gov
> > wrote:

>> I asked this question a few weeks ago and got no replies.  I'm glad
>> I'm not
>> the only one interested, at least.  Does anyone have an answer?
>

> Is it the same question that was asked on EmacsWiki here under
> Multi-File Documents?
>
>  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UsingNxmlModeWithDocBook
>
> There was a suggestion to ask on the nXml mailing list, but no one has
> come back with an answer. Maybe there is an answer on that
> mailing-list? If someone finds it, please add it to EmacsWiki!

), and the only answer I got was a suggestion to ask again on a gnu
emacs list, which is why I'm here.

  -- Steve