all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to disable sound when error occurs
@ 2003-05-12 20:15 Wang, Zhu
From: Wang, Zhu @ 2003-05-12 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am frustrated by a probably very simple problem:

Whenever I made a mistake, e.g., scroll up the mouse using the middle wheel when the pointer is at the beginning of buffer, some sound arises. But I don't need it to bother me. How can I disable it? After I did some search and looked at help files, I still have no clue.

Thanks for any help.

Zhu Wang

Southern Methodist University

* Re: How to disable sound when error occurs
       [not found] <mailman.6057.1052770479.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-12 20:59 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-05-12 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wang, Zhu" <zhuw@mail.smu.edu> writes:

> Whenever I made a mistake, e.g., scroll up the mouse using the
> middle wheel when the pointer is at the beginning of buffer, some
> sound arises. But I don't need it to bother me. How can I disable
> it? After I did some search and looked at help files, I still have
> no clue.

I put

(setq visible-bell t)

in my .emacs

,----[ C-h v visible-bell RET ]
| visible-bell's value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means try to flash the frame to represent a bell.
|
| See also `ring-bell-function'.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Lute.

--
(spook) => "analyzer Blowpipe world domination"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

@ 2003-05-12 21:20 ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2003-05-12 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Wang, Zhu" <zhuw@mail.smu.edu> writes:

> Whenever I made a mistake, e.g., scroll up the mouse using the
> middle wheel when the pointer is at the beginning of buffer, some
> sound arises. But I don't need it to bother me. How can I disable
> it? After I did some search and looked at help files, I still have
> no clue.

M-x customize-variable RET visible-bell RET

--
As long as you have mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery
you create morbidity.			     -- G.K. Chesterson

* RE: How to disable sound when error occurs
@ 2003-05-13  2:55 Wang, Zhu
From: Wang, Zhu @ 2003-05-13  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Zhu Wang

From: Wang, Zhu @ 2003-05-13  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zhu Wang

	> Whenever I made a mistake, e.g., scroll up the mouse using the
	> middle wheel when the pointer is at the beginning of buffer, some
	> sound arises. But I don't need it to bother me. How can I disable
	> it? After I did some search and looked at help files, I still have
	> no clue.

	I put

	(setq visible-bell t)

	in my .emacs