all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using babel
@ 2007-08-22 13:18 Hadron
       [not found] ` <mailman.5120.1187792407.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-22 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using babel.el 03

I translate using "babel-region" from English To German using the Babel
fish service.

My emacs displays german character just fine.

So why is the text returned from Babel full of escaped characters?

e.g

Der schnelle braune Fuchs sprang \303\274ber die Br\303\274cke.

Any help much appreciated.

--
Q:	What's a light-year?
A:	One-third less calories than a regular year.

* Re: Using babel
@ 2007-08-22 14:19 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.5120.1187792407.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-22 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hadron; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.08.2007 um 15:18 schrieb Hadron:

> So why is the text returned from Babel full of escaped characters?
>
> e.g
>
> Der schnelle braune Fuchs sprang \303\274ber die Br\303\274cke.

The buffer isn't in UTF-8 encoded?

;   oct   dec   hex    UCS2    UTF-8
;=====================================
ü = 374 = 252 = FC = U+00FC =    C3 BC : LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH
DIAERESIS

Octal 303 is hex C3, octal 274 is hex BC. Both are no regular
characters in your buffer's encoding, so they're presented in octal
and so "Der schnelle braune Fuchs sprang \303\274ber die Br\303
\274cke." is the sentence "Der schnelle braune Fuchs sprang über die
Brücke." presented to you as UTF-8 encoded inside a non-UTF-8 encoded
buffer.

Tell babel to not return UTF-8 or change your buffer's encoding.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Eine Fehlentscheidung auf Anhieb spart immerhin Zeit.
(Helmar Nahr)

* Re: Using babel
       [not found] ` <mailman.5120.1187792407.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-22 14:31   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-22 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 22.08.2007 um 15:18 schrieb Hadron:
>
>> So why is the text returned from Babel full of escaped characters?
>>
>> e.g
>>
>> Der schnelle braune Fuchs sprang \303\274ber die Br\303\274cke.
>
> The buffer isn't in UTF-8 encoded?
>
> ;   oct   dec   hex    UCS2    UTF-8
> ;=====================================
> ü = 374 = 252 = FC = U+00FC =    C3 BC : LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH
> DIAERESIS
>
> Octal 303 is hex C3, octal 274 is hex BC. Both are no regular
> characters in your buffer's encoding, so they're presented in octal
> and so "Der schnelle braune Fuchs sprang \303\274ber die Br\303
> \274cke." is the sentence "Der schnelle braune Fuchs sprang über die
> Brücke." presented to you as UTF-8 encoded inside a non-UTF-8 encoded
> buffer.
>
> Tell babel to not return UTF-8 or change your buffer's encoding.

But I can type ü,ä,ö in the same buffer and they appear as they ought to.

What do you suggest to "encode" the buffer?

--
Part of language design is purturbing the proposed feature in various
directions to see how it might generalize in the future.

* Re: Using babel
@ 2007-08-22 15:53     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-22 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hadron; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.08.2007 um 16:31 schrieb Hadron:

> But I can type ü,ä,ö in the same buffer and they appear as they
> ought to.

Because they not necessarily need to be encoded in UTF-8. There is a
dozen of ISO Latin encodings, MS Windows has a few dozens others,
there are proprietary encoding like NeXT, HP-Roman, MacRoman ... too.

> What do you suggest to "encode" the buffer?

Apply a different "coding system" on this buffer. Look at menu
Options -> Mule -> Set Coding Systems. More in *info*. Look also at
functions

	prefer-coding-system
	modify-coding-system-alist

and variables