all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Optimizing startup speed
@ 2011-11-03 16:46 Buchs, Kevin
From: Buchs, Kevin @ 2011-11-03 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, philipp.haselwarter

Philipp,

You mentioned, in reply to the thread "emacs -- simple"

> Proper use of autoload, eval-after-load and some factorization of your startup files into package specific configuration, plus byte compiling should reduce startup time significantly.

I wonder if you could amplify what you mean by "factorization of your startup files into package-specific configuration". It seems obvious, but I'm not sure I see the benefit, so would you explain why this helps startup speed.

Kevin Buchs   |  Senior Engineer  |  Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering - SPPDG
507-538-5459  |   buchs.kevin@mayo.edu  |  http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg
Mayo Clinic  |  200 1st St. SW  |  Rochester, MN 55905