all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Resizing and positioning Emacs main window and speedbar
@ 2006-07-12 11:25 kala
From: kala @ 2006-07-12 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I allready posted this message once to the forum, but it had no child forum
so I think it went to wrong place and thus never reached the mailing list.
If this is not the case, then I'm sorry for the spam.

---

Hi all!

I'm new to emacs customising and I don't understand much Lisp.

Here's what I'd like to do:

When I open emacs, I'd like the main window to be positioned on the left
side of the window. The size of the window should be screenheight -
KDE-panel height (or maximum number of lines fitting in the screen) and the
width should be 80 characters.

Then I'd like the speedbar to be started automagically at launch time and it
should be attached right next to the main window (on the right side, that
is). The speedbar window should be the same height as the main window, and
the width could be for example 25 characters.

Now how do I edit my ~/.emacs-file?

Here's what I found from the net. It's a start, but not much more...

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist
             '(height . 80)
             '(width . 80))

;;start speedbar if we're using a window system
(when window-system
  (speedbar t))

Thanks for your advice.
Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.

* Re: Resizing and positioning Emacs main window and speedbar
@ 2006-07-12 11:59 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-12 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.07.2006 um 13:25 schrieb kala:

> When I open emacs, I'd like the main window to be positioned on the
> left
> side of the window.

See initial-frame-alist.

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
others.
                                         - Groucho Marx

* Re: Resizing and positioning Emacs main window and speedbar
@ 2006-07-12 13:03   ` kala
From: kala @ 2006-07-12 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 12.07.2006 um 13:25 schrieb kala:
> See initial-frame-alist.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete

Thanks, that solved the main window issue. Now how to apply size &
postioning settings to the speedbar?

I have now:

;; start speedbar if we're using a window system
(when window-system
  (speedbar t ))

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(case-fold-search t)
 '(current-language-environment "Latin-9")
 '(default-input-method "latin-9-prefix")
 '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
 '(hide-ifdef-initially nil t)
 '(initial-frame-alist (quote ((top . 0) (left . 0) (width . 80) (height .
63))))
 '(view-calendar-holidays-initially nil t)
 '(view-diary-entries-initially nil t))

in my ~/.emacs-file

@ 2006-07-12 17:54     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-12 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.07.2006 um 15:03 schrieb kala:

> Thanks, that solved the main window issue. Now how to apply size &
> postioning settings to the speedbar?

I don't know! I do not use speedbar and I do not read about speedbar.
Is it good for?