On Mar 6, 2014, at 3:49 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote: > David Reitter : >> What is the procedure for those of us that keep a separate branch >> around, which has multiple (50+) merges from the mainline or Emacs >> 23, and many private changes? > > The first question you need to settle is whether you need to keep the > change comments for your branch. I started Aquamacs 9 years ago, and I have about 5 years worth of history in the branch. I have been careful to be a good citizen in committing reasonably logical and documented changes that can be merged into the main branch. No, I don’t want to lose my history. > If not, the procedure is very simple: If it weren’t for your dedicated and hard work while communicating with everyone here, I would find it somewhat insulting to be given this trivial “trash the history” solution. > If you need to keep the change comments, Andreas has a more complicated > procedure in mind which I will help him set up. I’m very much looking forward to this. Can I provide you with a reasonably complex test case?