all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What is a keybinds Richard Stallman uses?
@ 2014-06-29 13:45 Лайт Ягами
From: Лайт Ягами @ 2014-06-29 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Re: What is a keybinds Richard Stallman uses?
@ 2014-06-30 17:01 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-06-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hi-angel; +Cc: emacs-devel

I have caps-lock treated as ctrl at the system level.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: What is a keybinds Richard Stallman uses?
@ 2014-06-30 18:44   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2014-06-30 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I have caps-lock treated as ctrl at the system level.

Me too.  That always has seemed like a great idea.

* Re: What is a keybinds Richard Stallman uses?
@ 2014-06-30 20:55     ` chad
From: chad @ 2014-06-30 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd, emacs

On 30 Jun 2014, at 11:44, J. David Boyd <jdavidboyd@adboyd.com> wrote:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>>
>> I have caps-lock treated as ctrl at the system level.
>
> Me too.  That always has seemed like a great idea.

I did this for years, and then recently discovered an alternative
suggestion that I'm trying now: remapping caps-lock into a second
delete key. My experience so far suggests that the left-side delete
key is more interesting for people who aren't used to emacs-style
keybindings (both the multi-key sequences and the large number of
specific motion commands), but it's been interesting so far. I don't
have much wrist trouble, so the large left-side control key is nice
but not necessary.

~Chad

* Re: What is a keybinds Richard Stallman uses?
@ 2014-07-01  3:36       ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2014-07-01  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: emacs, J. David Boyd

chad writes:

 > I did this for years, and then recently discovered an alternative
 > suggestion that I'm trying now: remapping caps-lock into a second
 > delete key.

I have a better suggestion: don't make typing mistakes.  Works for me
(with the help of flyspell and pc-select for overwriting the region
when replacing text :-).

 > the large left-side control key is nice but not necessary.

It's not the size that I care about; it's the home-row position.  And
it's frequently used no matter what I'm doing -- of course in bash,
but also (on the Mac, at least) in Chrome and Firefox Ctrl-click
brings up the "target" menu (ie, whether the link is copied or the
linked resource is downloaded, opened in another app, opened in a new
window, or opened in a new tab), and on Windows it's the modifier key
for CUA.

If you must have a second delete key, why not use the key at bottom
left which has a pleasing symmetry?

* Re: What is a keybinds Richard Stallman uses?
@ 2014-07-01  7:27       ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-07-01  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

chad <yandros@gmail.com> writes:

> On 30 Jun 2014, at 11:44, J. David Boyd <jdavidboyd@adboyd.com> wrote:
>
>> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>>> I have caps-lock treated as ctrl at the system level.
>>
>> Me too.  That always has seemed like a great idea.
>
> I did this for years, and then recently discovered an alternative
> suggestion that I'm trying now: remapping caps-lock into a second
> delete key.

I vaguely remember that I once saw a picture of the original keyboard
RMS used back in the old times when figuring out Emacs keybindings, and
that keyboard had Ctrl and Meta keys at both sides of the Space
key. Maybe that picture inspired me to try another approach that works
quite well for me:

 1. Use a small compact USB keyboard with a really (!) short space key
    (spanning from 'v' to 'm' at most), here in Germany e.g. KeySonic
    Minikeyboard or Hama Slimline keyboard.

 2. remap backspace to menu and caps-lock to backspace

 3. remap (and somehow rearrange physical keys) of the bottom row like
    this (with k being 'other key'):

| AltGr | k | k | k | Alt | Ctrl | SPACE | Ctrl | Alt | AltGr | k |

 4. Use right and left thumb for SPACE and for right and left Ctrl/Alt
    respectively (and even for right AltGr), use left pinky for left
    AltGr and Backspace (ex CapsLock)

This is only possible due to the very short SPACE key, but I would say
it is still more than long enough (why do we need a SPACE key that is >
4cm wide anyway if we are able to hit other more remote keys that are
just 0.5cm wide?).

The typing is quite different with this system, Ctrl-d means
e.g. [right-thumb & 2nd-finger-left-hand], Alt-o means [left-thumb &
3nd-finger-right-hand] etc. The hand barely moves, using Ctrl, Alt and
AltGr is symmetrical just like using Shift (-> use right
Ctrl/Alt/AltGr/Shift when typing on the left half of the keyboard, use
left Ctrl/Alt/AltGr/Shift when typing on the right half of the
keyboard).

I cannot say anyhing about avoiding RSI with this system because I had
that problem already before I started using Emacs and learned touch
typing, and as a late starter I'm no typing wizard anyway.

But it feels quite efficient and easy on the hands.

--
cheers,
Thorsten