all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Questions about ps print
@ 2007-10-02 10:38 Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2007-10-02 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It sometimes happens that in the ps file (that I get with `M-x pr-interface')
a blank page is added, although the bottom margin is set as 0.

Can anybody suggest why this happens and how to avoid it?

Thanks for any reply
Rodolfo

* Re: Questions about ps print
@ 2007-10-02 14:57 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-02 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.10.2007 um 12:38 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

> It sometimes happens that in the ps file (that I get with `M-x pr-
> interface')
> a blank page is added, although the bottom margin is set as 0.
>
> Can anybody suggest why this happens and how to avoid it?

It might contain all the white space below your black text! You can
customise the fringes to indicate the buffer boundaries and also to
indicate the empty lines at the buffer's end.

Did you check in GNU Emacs the PS output to see what exactly is
printed on that last empty page?

--
Greetings

   Pete

  "A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take
away."
                                  -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Questions about ps print
@ 2007-10-03  8:23   ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2007-10-03  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.10.2007 um 12:38 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

>> It sometimes happens that in the ps file (that I get with `M-x pr-
>> interface')
>> a blank page is added, although the bottom margin is set as 0.
>>
>> Can anybody suggest why this happens and how to avoid it?

> It might contain all the white space below your black text! You can customise
> the fringes to indicate the buffer boundaries and also to  indicate the empty
> lines at the buffer's end.

Can you indicate what variables shall I customize?

> Did you check in GNU Emacs the PS output to see what exactly is printed on
> that last empty page?

How can I do that?

Thanks indeed,
Rodolfo

* Re: Questions about ps print
@ 2007-10-03  9:25     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-03  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.10.2007 um 10:23 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

>> It might contain all the white space below your black text! You
>> can customise
>> the fringes to indicate the buffer boundaries and also to
>> indicate the empty
>> lines at the buffer's end.
>

> Can you indicate what variables shall I customize?

(custom-set-variables
   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
;; '(fringe-indicators (quote right) nil (fringe))
; '(fringe-mode (quote (3 . 7)) nil (fringe))   ; thickness of
fringes left . right
  '(indicate-buffer-boundaries (quote right))    ; where is text
indicated
  '(indicate-empty-lines t)                      ; with small
horizontal lines
)

An example for colour use in the fringe:

(custom-set-faces
   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
  '(fringe ((((class color) (background light)) (:background
"khaki" :foreground "steel blue"))))
)

You can also look-up the variable names and follow their hyperlinks
to the customisation interface.

>> Did you check in GNU Emacs the PS output to see what exactly is
>> printed on
>> that last empty page?
>

> How can I do that?

Only spool the PS print-out (M-x ps-spool-buffer-with-faces). It will
create a buffer *PostScript*. It will contain words like "%%Page:
<number> <number>" and "EndPage" that describe one page of output.
Text output in PostScript is kept between "(" and ")" and followed by
"S" and only in case of PS print output of GNU Emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
others.
                                         - Groucho Marx

* Re: Questions about ps print
@ 2007-10-03 16:09   ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2007-10-03 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.10.2007 um 12:38 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

>> It sometimes happens that in the ps file (that I get with `M-x pr-
>> interface')
>> a blank page is added, although the bottom margin is set as 0.
>>
>> Can anybody suggest why this happens and how to avoid it?

> It might contain all the white space below your black text! You can customise
> the fringes to indicate the buffer boundaries and also to  indicate the empty
> lines at the buffer's end.
>
> Did you check in GNU Emacs the PS output to see what exactly is printed on
> that last empty page?

Thanks to Peter for his indications, however the problem seems to be solved
decreasing the value of the ps-footer-offset variable; although I can't
imagine what the distance between the main text and the footer has to do with
outputting a final blank page.

Rodolfo

* Re: Questions about ps print
@ 2007-10-03 17:49     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-03 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.10.2007 um 18:09 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

> Thanks to Peter for his indications, however the problem seems to
> be solved
> decreasing the value of the ps-footer-offset variable; although I
> can't
> imagine what the distance between the main text and the footer has
> to do with
> outputting a final blank page.

Make a bug report from this! Help menu -> Send Bug Report… Maybe
there *is* some mis-conception no-one has thought of yet.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's something the technicians need to learn from the artists. If
it isn't aesthetically pleasing, it's probably wrong.