all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs got stuck when it opens a file having one long line (~60K)
@ 2009-02-28  5:13 Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-02-28  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello. I found a problem with emacs.

When I open a file having one long line about 60K, emacs gets stuck so
I should quit forcefully. I tested with "emacs -Q ", but same problem.
For comparison, I tested this on vim, and it could open it.
My emacs is GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i586-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.12.9).

What would be a cue for this problem?
Any advice?
Thanks.

* Re: emacs got stuck when it opens a file having one long line (~60K)
@ 2009-02-28  5:24 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-02-28  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kiwon Um <um.kiwon@gmail.com> writes:
> When I open a file having one long line about 60K, emacs gets stuck so
> I should quit forcefully. I tested with "emacs -Q ", but same problem.

I tried the following:

   emacs -Q
   C-u 60000 x

Then I moved the cursor around etc.  There seemed to be no "sticking" or
even any slowdown.  I tried with both 22.2.1 and the CVS trunk version.

Can you provide an exact test case?  Do you have an unusually slow computer?

Thanks,

-Miles

--
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're
just making him madder and madder." -- Homer Simpson

* Re: emacs got stuck when it opens a file having one long line (~60K)
@ 2009-02-28  5:41   ` Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-02-28  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2월28일, 오후2시24분, Miles Bader <mi...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Kiwon Um <um.ki...@gmail.com> writes:
> > When I open a file having one long line about 60K, emacs gets stuck so
> > I should quit forcefully. I tested with "emacs -Q ", but same problem.
>
> I tried the following:
>
>    emacs -Q
>    C-u 60000 x
>
> Then I moved the cursor around etc.  There seemed to be no "sticking" or
> even any slowdown.  I tried with both 22.2.1 and the CVS trunk version.
>
> Can you provide an exact test case?  Do you have an unusually slow computer?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Miles
>
> --
> "Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're
> just making him madder and madder." -- Homer Simpson

I tried to open a smi file, movie subtitle file, encoded in cp949. Let
me send the file to your email.
My computer is fast one, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4GHz over 2G Memory.
Please check the file. Thanks :)

* Re: emacs got stuck when it opens a file having one long line (~60K)
@ 2009-02-28  6:03     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-02-28  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kiwon Um <um.kiwon@gmail.com> writes:
> I tried to open a smi file, movie subtitle file, encoded in cp949. Let
> me send the file to your email.
> My computer is fast one, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4GHz over 2G Memory.
> Please check the file. Thanks :)

Hmm, I tried your file, and had no obvious problem with it either...
Both display and cursor movement seemed accurate and fast.

When did it get "stuck"?  Could it display the file contents initially?
Could you move around the buffer at all (e.g., did it only stick once
you moved onto the long line)?

Thanks,

-Miles

--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]

* Re: emacs got stuck when it opens a file having one long line (~60K)
@ 2009-02-28  6:13       ` Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-02-28  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2월28일, 오후3시03분, Miles Bader <mi...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Kiwon Um <um.ki...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I tried to open a smi file, movie subtitle file, encoded in cp949. Let
> > me send the file to your email.
> > My computer is fast one, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4GHz over 2G Memory.
> > Please check the file. Thanks :)
>
> Hmm, I tried your file, and had no obvious problem with it either...
> Both display and cursor movement seemed accurate and fast.
>
> When did it get "stuck"?  Could it display the file contents initially?
> Could you move around the buffer at all (e.g., did it only stick once
> you moved onto the long line)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Miles
>
> --
> If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]

Hmm.... No I couldn't. The emacs process "completely" gets stuck. No
displaying. Any commands do not work at all. So I should kill it
"forcefully", using like killall command on shell. Strange....
Let me test more. Thanks... :)