all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs cannot find cc-mode
@ 2008-10-28 17:57 mtakeshi
From: mtakeshi @ 2008-10-28 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all. Im sorry if this is not the right place for this kind of
question, but i've ran out of options. Ive built emacs for opensolaris
and almost all is well, except that it cannot find most of the built-
in modes
i've added the emacs 'list' dir to the loadpath on startup and it
solved some of them, but it still cant load, for instance, cc-mode.
I know i can just download that mode and since its nowhere to be found
(at least not as a .el file), im thinking that there is something
wrong with my installation. finally, my question follows: where can i
set from where emacs lookup things that should be built-in?

thanks in advance

* Re: emacs cannot find cc-mode
@ 2008-10-30  8:55 ` TheFlyingDutchman
From: TheFlyingDutchman @ 2008-10-30  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 28, 10:57 am, mtakeshi <takesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all. Im sorry if this is not the right place for this kind of
> question, but i've ran out of options. Ive built emacs for opensolaris
> and almost all is well, except that it cannot find most of the built-
> in modes
> i've added the emacs 'list' dir to the loadpath on startup and it
> solved some of them, but it still cant load, for instance, cc-mode.
> I know i can just download that mode and since its nowhere to be found
> (at least not as a .el file), im thinking that there is something
> wrong with my installation.

Did you download the Emacs you built from the GNU site:
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs

or is it something that came with the OpenSolaris distribution?  If it
is something that came with OpenSolaris I would recommend downloading
the version at GNU if you haven't already down so since it has cc-
mode.el as  I just downloaded emacs-22.3.tar.gz to my home directory
and after running

gunzip emacs-22.3.tar.gz
tar -xvf emacs-22.3.tar

cc-mode.el and cc-mode.elc are in:
~/emacs-22.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
~/emacs-22.3./lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.elc

I didn't run the entire install since I am on a shared work machine,
but configure does create a Makefile in ~/emacs22-3/lisp that has an
entry for "cc-mode.el".

> finally, my question follows: where can i
> set from where emacs lookup things that should be built-in?

There are one or two site-wide (every Emacs user) init files (who's
names I can't recall) where I think you could add to the load-path
variable. Per this documentation you can also change a c header file
before building (but it should already point to the directories where
"built-in" .el files like cc-mode were installed) and also set an
ENVIRONMENT variable:.
load-path

The value of this variable is a list of directories to search when
directory name) or nil (which stands for the current working
directory).

The value of load-path is initialized from the environment variable
EMACSLOADPATH, if that exists; otherwise its default value is
specified in emacs/src/epaths.h when Emacs is built. Then the list is
expanded by adding subdirectories of the directories in the list.

The syntax of EMACSLOADPATH is the same as used for PATH; `:' (or `;',
according to the operating system) separates directory names, and `.'
is used for the current default directory. Here is an example of how
to set your EMACSLOADPATH variable from a csh .login file: