all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to connect emacs (gnus) to github pull-requests discussions
@ 2020-12-19 16:04 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-12-19 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

More and more code development is done by pull requests (mostly using
github) One of most annoying thing for me is that I cannot use emacs
more specifically gnus to access these discussions.

Does somebody know either a possibility to connect gnus to github pull
requests or any other emacs pkg that would allow me to connect emacs to
the github pull request pages

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: how to connect emacs (gnus) to github pull-requests discussions
@ 2020-12-19 16:28 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2020-12-19 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 at 23:04, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> More and more code development is done by pull requests (mostly using
> github) One of most annoying thing for me is that I cannot use emacs
> more specifically gnus to access these discussions.
>
> Does somebody know either a possibility to connect gnus to github pull
> requests or any other emacs pkg that would allow me to connect emacs to
> the github pull request pages

Why not?

Github lets you subscribe to any individual issue, pull request, or a
whole repository.

If you are subscribed, Github will send you an email every time
someone posts a comment in that issue or pull request, or if someone
creates a new issue or PR in that repository.

Every such notification email has its Reply-To header set to a unique
email address. Any reply you send to that address will be added as a
comment to the corresponding issue or PR. (It will be interpreted as
Markdown so quoting works as expected. Just don’t overquote.)

(I have not used that facility personally, but I have seen it used.)

* Re: how to connect emacs (gnus) to github pull-requests discussions
@ 2020-12-19 16:36   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-12-19 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "YK" == Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

   > On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 at 23:04, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
   >> More and more code development is done by pull requests (mostly using
   >> github) One of most annoying thing for me is that I cannot use emacs
   >> more specifically gnus to access these discussions.
   >>
   >> Does somebody know either a possibility to connect gnus to github pull
   >> requests or any other emacs pkg that would allow me to connect emacs to
   >> the github pull request pages

   > Why not?

   > Github lets you subscribe to any individual issue, pull request, or a
   > whole repository.

   > If you are subscribed, Github will send you an email every time
   > someone posts a comment in that issue or pull request, or if someone
   > creates a new issue or PR in that repository.

I am talking here about, for example the german Covid 19 warn app

https://github.com/corona-warn-app/cwa-app-ios

I have a github account but not write access

   > Every such notification email has its Reply-To header set to a unique
   > email address. Any reply you send to that address will be added as a
   > comment to the corresponding issue or PR. (It will be interpreted as
   > Markdown so quoting works as expected. Just don’t overquote.)

Oops, I see

To: corona-warn-app/cwa-wishlist <cwa-wishlist@noreply.github.com>

I interpret the address «@noreply.github.com>», as *do not reply*

But indeed, I did not pay attention later on it is written

So you are right. Next time I know! thanks

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: how to connect emacs (gnus) to github pull-requests discussions
@ 2020-12-19 17:00     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2020-12-19 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 at 23:37, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
>    > Every such notification email has its Reply-To header set to a unique
>    > email address. Any reply you send to that address will be added as a
>    > comment to the corresponding issue or PR. (It will be interpreted as
>    > Markdown so quoting works as expected. Just don’t overquote.)
>
> Oops, I see
>
> To: corona-warn-app/cwa-wishlist <cwa-wishlist@noreply.github.com>

That’s the address the notification email claims to be addressed *to*.
But if you reply to it, your MUA will normally send to the address
listed in the Reply-To header, which looks like:

(taken from a random recent notification I received; please do not
actually send mail there unless you have something to say about
<https://github.com/facebook/create-react-app/issues/9056>.)

* Re: how to connect emacs (gnus) to github pull-requests discussions
@ 2020-12-19 17:01   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-12-19 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "YK" == Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 at 23:04, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
>> More and more code development is done by pull requests (mostly using
>> github) One of most annoying thing for me is that I cannot use emacs
>> more specifically gnus to access these discussions.
>>
>> Does somebody know either a possibility to connect gnus to github pull
>> requests or any other emacs pkg that would allow me to connect emacs to
>> the github pull request pages

> Why not?

> Github lets you subscribe to any individual issue, pull request, or a
> whole repository.

> If you are subscribed, Github will send you an email every time
> someone posts a comment in that issue or pull request, or if someone
> creates a new issue or PR in that repository.

> Every such notification email has its Reply-To header set to a unique
> email address. Any reply you send to that address will be added as a
> comment to the corresponding issue or PR. (It will be interpreted as
> Markdown so quoting works as expected. Just don’t overquote.)

I see, I used  gnus-summary-followup-with-original (old habit) and that
was a mistake, also I think it is better not to (smime/pgp) sign your message

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: how to connect emacs (gnus) to github pull-requests discussions
@ 2020-12-19 18:21   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-19 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Every such notification email has its Reply-To header set to a unique
> email address. Any reply you send to that address will be added as a
> comment to the corresponding issue or PR. (It will be interpreted as
> Markdown so quoting works as expected. Just don’t overquote.)

AFAIK it doesn't actually treat it as markdown.
It only handles the usual email convention of quoting of previous text
with `>`.

* Re: how to connect emacs (gnus) to github pull-requests discussions
@ 2020-12-19 21:15     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-12-19 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "SM" == Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

>> Every such notification email has its Reply-To header set to a unique
>> email address. Any reply you send to that address will be added as a
>> comment to the corresponding issue or PR. (It will be interpreted as
>> Markdown so quoting works as expected. Just don’t overquote.)

> AFAIK it doesn't actually treat it as markdown.
> It only handles the usual email convention of quoting of previous text
> with `>`.

Currently I am looking for a email--> markdown converter, a bit like
org-mime that htmlises email, but I try to avoid htmlizing email, but
using markdown seems ok to me in specific situations such as this.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: how to connect emacs (gnus) to github pull-requests discussions
@ 2020-12-19 21:28 ` Sébastien G
From: Sébastien G @ 2020-12-19 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Uwe Brauer

Hade you tried Magit forge ?