all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Some problems of Emacs on my OS X 10.8.5
@ 2014-02-23  7:55 Haomin Long
From: Haomin Long @ 2014-02-23  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello!
Recently I use Emacs 24.3 on my OS X 10.8.5.
To debug, I installed GNU GDB 7.7  from homebrew.
But in Emacs I can't use M-x gdb. It just showed "No such file or
directory, gdb" in the minibuffer.
I typed "M-! echo $PATH" and it did show the directory that containing the
GDB program.
So I typed "M-! gdb ***". After that it did execute GDB , but the first
line of it is "(gdb) quit"!!
I searched a lot at Google but I'm not able to solve it.
Is it some kind of Bug?
THANKS!

--

*Houman Lung*

*Department of Computer Science and Technology, Tsinghua University,
Beijing China*

*Mobile: (+86)18688148073*
*E-mail: cherudim9@gmail.com <cherudim9@gmail.com>*

* Re: Some problems of Emacs on my OS X 10.8.5
       [not found] <mailman.15838.1393166516.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-02-23 18:45 ` autozimu
From: autozimu @ 2014-02-23 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:55:05 AM UTC-5, Haomin Long wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Recently I use Emacs 24.3 on my OS X 10.8.5.
>
> To debug, I installed GNU GDB 7.7  from homebrew.
>
> But in Emacs I can't use M-x gdb. It just showed "No such file or
>
> directory, gdb" in the minibuffer.
>
> I typed "M-! echo $PATH" and it did show the directory that containing the
>
> GDB program.
>
> So I typed "M-! gdb ***". After that it did execute GDB , but the first
>
> line of it is "(gdb) quit"!!
>
> I searched a lot at Google but I'm not able to solve it.
>
> Is it some kind of Bug?
>
> THANKS!
>

> --
>

> *Houman Lung*
>

> *Department of Computer Science and Technology, Tsinghua University,
>
> Beijing China*
>

> *Mobile: (+86)18688148073*
>
> *E-mail: cherudim9@gmail.com <cherudim9@gmail.com>*

I believe Emacs uses the variable `exec-path` to find executables, rather than the env $PATH from shell.

This [script](https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell) might helps.

* Re: Some problems of Emacs on my OS X 10.8.5
@ 2014-02-23 19:28   ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-02-23 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: autozimu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

So the problem with OSX is that the .profile script is not executed when
you login. This is different from GNU Linux distributions which execute
.bashrc when you log in. .profile is only executed when you run a shell. If
you launch emacs from outside the shell, i.e., clicking an icon on your
desktop or via the dock (which I do), .profile isn't loaded.

the environment plist file is what OSX uses to setup it's environment when
you "log in":

~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

Jai

@ 2014-02-24  8:58     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2014-02-24  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jai Dayal, Haomin Long; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, autozimu

Am 23.02.2014 um 20:28 schrieb Jai Dayal:

> the environment plist file is what OSX uses to setup it's environment when
> you "log in":
>
> ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

I am still with Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.8, but I think the use of this file ended in Lion, Mac OS X 10.7. Later Launchservice must be used – and configured.

It's likely that GNU Emacs' internal variable exec-path might be set to a different value than PATH in some interactive shell… It might help to create a wrapper shell script "Emacs" in /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS for the then renamed Emacs.bin that the launched process Emacs.bin has the same environment as an interactive shell. XQuartz uses such a concept.

--
Greetings

  Pete

One person with a belief is a social power equal to ninety-nine who have only interests.
				– John Stuart Mill