all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* java anyone?
@ 2021-07-17 22:34 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-07-17 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need something where I can just lookup functions in a code base with a local javadoc tree, including online Oracle documentation, etc. Not a full-fledged IDE with completion.

I tried to install jdee yesterday but when I try to run it I have a weir error message, so I dumped it. The I tried jmt and here again I had weird error messages.

So I'm left with:

  java-class-doc
  java-complete
  java-snippets
  javadoc-lookup
  lsp-java
  lsp-javacomp

available from package.el.

I'm currently running java-mode, which seems to be a derivative of cc-mode, and I guess I'm fine with that, but I'm not sure what's the best combination with the above packages.

Is there anybody who has some experience with java packages here and can enlighten me?

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com

* Re: java anyone?
@ 2021-07-17 22:42 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2021-07-17 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18.07.2021 01:34, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> I'm currently running java-mode, which seems to be a derivative of cc-mode, and I guess I'm fine with that, but I'm not sure what's the best combination with the above packages.
>
> Is there anybody who has some experience with java packages here and can enlighten me?

lsp-java is probably the best option these days.

I won't help with particular settings (haven't touched any Java for
years), but here is a relevant question with answers:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/47933/are-there-any-tutorials-documentation-for-lsp-java

* Re: java anyone?
@ 2021-07-18  2:32   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-07-18  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Jul 18, 2021, at 7:42, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> On 18.07.2021 01:34, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> I'm currently running java-mode, which seems to be a derivative of cc-mode, and I guess I'm fine with that, but I'm not sure what's the best combination with the above packages.
>> Is there anybody who has some experience with java packages here and can enlighten me?
>
> lsp-java is probably the best option these days.
>
> I won't help with particular settings (haven't touched any Java for years), but here is a relevant question with answers: https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/47933/are-there-any-tutorials-documentation-for-lsp-java

Thank you Dmitri.

I've also found the meghanada package which seems to allow for navigation between files.

--

@ 2021-07-18 11:26 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-07-18 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:

> I need something where I can just lookup functions in a code base with
> a local javadoc tree, including online Oracle documentation, etc. Not
> a full-fledged IDE with completion.

I use a very lightweight language server facilitator, named Eglot. There
are a couple of settings that are required for this to work. This is the
minimal set that I came-up with after discussing in and following the
Eglot tracker.

1. Tell Emacs the value of JAVA_HOME. ‘(setenv "JAVA_HOME" ...)’

2. By default, Eglot uses, Eclipse JDT Language server so you need to
   install it somewhere. I simply pulled the git repository at
   ~/.emacs.d/eclipse.jdt.ls. After building the Eclipse JDT LS (‘mvn
   clean; mvn package’), you must add the language server JAR to the
   CLASSPATH. I use the following snippet:

   (defun add-to-classpath (item)
     "Add ITEM to CLASSPATH."

     (let ((class-path (getenv "CLASSPATH")))

       (defvar class-path-list (if class-path
                                   (split-string class-path ":")))
       (cl-pushnew item class-path-list)
       (setenv "CLASSPATH"
               (mapconcat 'identity class-path-list ":"))))

   (add-to-classpath
    (substring
     (shell-command-to-string
      (format
       "find %s -name 'org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_*jar'"
       (expand-file-name
        "eclipse.jdt.ls/org.eclipse.jdt.ls.product/target/repository/plugins"
        user-emacs-directory)))
     0 -1))

Eglot works with project.el, xref.el, eldoc.el etc. So many usual things
will work out of the box. Like online help when the point is inside a
function name.

It also works with company; but that is not required.

* Re: java anyone?
@ 2021-07-18 22:17   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-07-18 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs