all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
To: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: nnimap splitting
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 18:48:58 +0000	[thread overview]

On 2020-12-10 17:41, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>>>

>>> Don't quote 'nnimap-split-fancy in this line. In fact, it's possible
>>> that you can do without this dance altogether -- the manual makes it
>>> look like that's okay. Maybe take this clause out and see if it
>>> works,
>>> and if it doesn't, put it back in but don't quote nnimap-split-fancy.
>>

>> Alas no. I am still confused as to whether the server are being set at
>> all.
>
> You mean the server variables?

Yes, apologies

> If they're specified correctly, and it
> looks like they are apart from the quoting issue, they should all be
> honored. Can you get non-fancy splitting working? Try the simplest
> case.

No, I can't. Simple or otherwise, nothing seems to work. I do have an
extensive set of `nnmail-split-fancy` rules, which I use for the nnml
backend that I am trying to deprecate. For those, I haven't user
server-variables, but just set nnmail-split-methods and the rest.

> FWIW, my local imap settings look like:
>
> (nnimap "EA"
> 	(nnimap-address "localhost")
> 	(nnimap-stream network)
> 	(nnimap-authenticator login)
> 	(nnimap-user "eric@ericabrahamsen.net"))
>
> With passwords kept in the pass utility via ~/.authinfo.gpg. I don't do
> client-side splitting, though.

Yeah, well, I have a similar set up.

I have tried debugging `gnus-summary-respool-query'. This has a bit
`let' form like so:

	 (let ((nnmail-split-methods
			(cond
			 ((eq nnimap-split-methods 'default)
			  nnmail-split-methods)
			 (nnimap-split-methods
			  nnimap-split-methods)
			 (nnimap-split-fancy
			  'nnmail-split-fancy)))
		       (nnmail-split-fancy (or nnimap-split-fancy
					       nnmail-split-fancy)))
		   (nnmail-article-group 'identity trace))

While evaluating this using an article in a nnimap group, all of the
`nnimap-' variables evaluate to nil. I am not even sure how server
variables would work; are they something like buffer-locals -- I can't
see how these forms are going to return anything other than the global
value for the nnimap- variables!

Phil