all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>
Cc: henrik.enberg@telia.com, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: python-mode: keep mark when shifting [patch]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:34:07 +0000	[thread overview]

On 13 Mar 2006, at 00:22, Dave Love wrote:

>  The shift-region functions are inherited from the old python-mode.el
> and may or may not really be a good idea.

Consider the following use case:  A code block is to be moved out of
its context in order to stick it into a separate function. I yank it
at its destination, write a "def newfunc():" at the top. But now I
have to reindent it. Repeated use of C-c > and C-c < do that job just
fine. However, because it is typically used repeatedly on the same
region, deactivating the mark is very inconvenient.

In other languages, I would use C-M-\ to re-indent automatically,
which is impossible in Python, since indentation carries semantics
and doesn't follow from the code. You mentioned that other
indentation function (i.e. shift functions) also deactivate the mark.
If that's so, I would argue that these should be changed as well for
the same reason.