all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: set-scroll-bar-mode 'right  made global ??
@ 2006-05-10 20:30 William Case
From: William Case @ 2006-05-10 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi;

Where and how do I put the (set-scroll-bar-mode 'right) command so that
it applies to all users?  ~/.emacs only works for individual users.
Besides, it looks a bit 'hacky' in .emacs.  When emacs opens the
scrollbar flashes on the left and then obviously (for a split second) is
transferred to the right.  How can I set it up so that emacs is always
initially drawn with the scroll bar on the right?

Regards Bill
Fedora Core 5, GNU Emacs 21.4.1

* Re: set-scroll-bar-mode 'right  made global ??
@ 2006-05-11 12:16 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-05-11 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.05.2006 um 22:30 schrieb William Case:

> Hi;
>
> Where and how do I put the (set-scroll-bar-mode 'right) command so
> that
> it applies to all users?  ~/.emacs only works for individual users.

Put into site-start.el. Put the file into a component of load-path,
for example /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp.

> Besides, it looks a bit 'hacky' in .emacs.  When emacs opens the
> scrollbar flashes on the left and then obviously (for a split
> second) is
> transferred to the right.  How can I set it up so that emacs is always
> initially drawn with the scroll bar on the right?

Use an X resource! There often is the choice to put scroll-bars in
X11 on the right or on the left of the window.

For GNU Emacs you could also set initial-frame-alist and/or default-
frame-alist to contain amongst its/their member(s)

	(vertical-scroll-bars . right)

--
Greetings

   Pete

»¿ʇı̣ əsnqɐ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ ɟı̣
ɓuı̣ɥʇʎuɐ sı̣ pooɓ ʇɐɥʍ«

* Re: set-scroll-bar-mode 'right  made global ??  [SOLVED]
@ 2006-05-15 16:16 ` William Case
From: William Case @ 2006-05-15 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi;

Ever since I started to use Linux and Emacs (two years ago), this little
problem had being annoying me.  With the help of the list it is finally
fixed.  Below is the solution if any one else wants it.

On Wed, 2006-10-05 at 16:30 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Where and how do I put the (set-scroll-bar-mode 'right) command so that
> it applies to all users?  ~/.emacs only works for individual users.
> Besides, it looks a bit 'hacky' in .emacs.  When emacs opens the
> scrollbar flashes on the left and then obviously (for a split second) is
> transferred to the right.  How can I set it up so that emacs is always
> initially drawn with the scroll bar on the right?
>
> Regards Bill
> Fedora Core 5, GNU Emacs 21.4.1

/etc/X11/Xresources

! Always start emacs with scroll bar on right side

Emacs.verticalScrollBars: right

--
Regards Bill,
Fedora Core 5, GNU Emacs 21.4.1