all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can I get vc-svn.el?
@ 2005-09-04  4:46 Paul Crowell
       [not found] ` <mailman.5967.1125942891.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paul Crowell @ 2005-09-04  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I want to use subversion from vc-mode. How can I get this file?

-pc

Paul Crowell      Magma-DA      crowell@magma-da.com, HO/C: 719/310-7812
NASDAQ=LAVA    5649 University Village View, Colorado Springs, CO  80918
----------------- Magma: The Fastest Path from RTL to Silicon ----------

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain information that is
confidential

and proprietary to Magma, and Magma hereby designates the information in
this

e-mail as confidential.  The information is intended only for the use of
the

individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are

hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any
of the

information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited and
that you

should immediately destroy this e-mail and its contents and notify
Magma.

* Re: How can I get vc-svn.el?
@ 2005-09-05 17:19 ` Bill Wohler
       [not found] ` <mailman.5967.1125942891.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-09-05 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paul Crowell" <crowell@Magma-DA.COM> writes:

> I want to use subversion from vc-mode. How can I get this file?

svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn

* Re: How can I get vc-svn.el?
       [not found] ` <mailman.5967.1125942891.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-05 23:34   ` Peter Milliken
From: Peter Milliken @ 2005-09-05 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Last time I tried to get vc-mode working with svn it didn't - but that was
some considerable time ago now, so perhaps the psvn currently available
works around those problems. From memory, the issue wasn't so much in the
file available from SVN but rather that the emacs files had to have some
extensive rework before they would work with SVN. The next (released)
version of Emacs will have all the appropriate fixes installed - and that
release isn't terribly far away. I have been snooping on the developers
mailing list and it is definitely on the horizon (although exactly when is
always a big question that nobody will answer/commit too! :-)).

The solution I used was to download and build the CVS tip of Emacs - svn
access works like a charm then :-) You can access nightly dumps of the CVS
archives (assumes that you cannot access the CVS tip directly - I am behind
a firewall at work and it won't let me through, so I use the nightly dumps)
from http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs-backup/. Then to build from source it
depends on what OS you are using - if Windows then you'll need to install
cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/). You will also need some of the MingW
tools - I really can't remember exactly what I installed here but if you
have a look at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html you should
be able to muddle through (well I did :-)).

Goodluck,
Peter

"Bill Wohler" <wohler@newt.com> wrote in message
> "Paul Crowell" <crowell@Magma-DA.COM> writes:
>
> > I want to use subversion from vc-mode. How can I get this file?
>
> svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn
>
> --
> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG
ID:610BD9AD
> Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and MH-E. Vote Libertarian!
> If you're passed on the right, you're in the wrong lane.

* Re: How can I get vc-svn.el?
@ 2005-09-06  6:11     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-09-06  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Milliken wrote:

>The solution I used was to download and build the CVS tip of Emacs - svn
>access works like a charm then :-) You can access nightly dumps of the CVS
>archives (assumes that you cannot access the CVS tip directly - I am behind
>a firewall at work and it won't let me through, so I use the nightly dumps)
>from http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs-backup/. Then to build from source it
>depends on what OS you are using - if Windows then you'll need to install
>cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/). You will also need some of the MingW
>tools - I really can't remember exactly what I installed here but if you
>have a look at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html you should
>be able to muddle through (well I did :-)).

I am glad to hear that you succeeded building Emacs from CVS. However
you do not need Cygwin if you follow the instructions in
http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html. You do need Mingw,
http://www.mingw.org/.