all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Make EMACS Remember two Locations per Buffer
@ 2010-10-11  9:52 Felix E. Klee
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2010-10-11  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Here is something that has annoyed me almost forever when using EMACS.
Is there a solution?

An example scenario:

1. I open a buffer.

2. I split the screen vertically: C-x 2

3. I work on the buffer, appreciating that I can compare two parts of
  it, one on the top, one on the bottom.

4. In the bottom window, I want to temporarily switch to another
buffer,
  and then return to the contents it was displaying before.
  Unfortunately, this is *not* possible! At least as far as I know...

  What is possible:

  a) I switch to another buffer.

  b) I switch back to the original buffer.

  c) I manually return to the location I was editing before.

Why isn't it possible for EMACS to remember that location? Or is it?

* Re: Make EMACS Remember two Locations per Buffer
@ 2010-10-11 17:46 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-10-11 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@inka.de> writes:

> Here is something that has annoyed me almost forever when using EMACS.
> Is there a solution?
>
> An example scenario:
>
> 1. I open a buffer.
>
> 2. I split the screen vertically: C-x 2
>
> 3. I work on the buffer, appreciating that I can compare two parts of
>   it, one on the top, one on the bottom.

C-x r w a

> 4. In the bottom window, I want to temporarily switch to another
> buffer,
>   and then return to the contents it was displaying before.
>   Unfortunately, this is *not* possible! At least as far as I know...
>
>   What is possible:
>
>   a) I switch to another buffer.
>
>   b) I switch back to the original buffer.
>
>   c) I manually return to the location I was editing before.

C-x r j a

> Why isn't it possible for EMACS to remember that location? Or is it?

Check registers. You can put window configurations in them and that include
the cursor position.

* Re: Make EMACS Remember two Locations per Buffer
@ 2010-10-11 18:35   ` Felix E. Klee
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2010-10-11 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 11, 7:46 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> C-x r w a

... to store the window configuration in register "a".

> C-x r j a

... to retrieve the window configuration from register "a".

Thanks for the hint!

Advantage: I don't have to manually select the buffer when returning,
  as in step b in my original message.

Disadvantage: Before visiting another buffer, I have to store the
  current configuration in the register. It's easy to forget that when
  in a hurry. But perhaps I can train my brain. ;-)

* Re: Make EMACS Remember two Locations per Buffer
@ 2010-10-12 15:54     ` jpkotta
From: jpkotta @ 2010-10-12 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 11, 1:35 pm, "Felix E. Klee" <felix.k...@inka.de> wrote:
> On Oct 11, 7:46 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>
> > C-x r w a
>
> ... to store the window configuration in register "a".
>
> > C-x r j a
>
> ... to retrieve the window configuration from register "a".
>
> Thanks for the hint!
>
> Advantage: I don't have to manually select the buffer when returning,
>   as in step b in my original message.
>
> Disadvantage: Before visiting another buffer, I have to store the
>   current configuration in the register. It's easy to forget that when
>   in a hurry. But perhaps I can train my brain. ;-)

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/winpoint.el
(require 'winpoint)
(winpoint-mode 1)

Also, there are bookmarks, in various flavors.  I like
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/VisibleBookmarks.

* Re: Make EMACS Remember two Locations per Buffer
@ 2010-10-12 21:14       ` Felix E. Klee
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2010-10-12 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 12, 5:54 pm, jpkotta <jpko...@gmail.com> wrote: