all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* fundamental mode uses?
@ 2010-03-23 19:34 sable
From: sable @ 2010-03-23 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Just a curiosity: As a relative newcomer to Emacs, I'm wondering if
anyone ever actually uses Fundamental mode in the course of their
work? My impression from reading the literature is that it's kind of a
"baseline" mode that contains the functions, bindings, variables,
etc., in their default form. But I couldn't find anything in the
manual related to possible/appropriate uses of this mode. It seems
like there's a specialized mode to cover all the main programming and
markup languages, plus your basic text and word-processing modes, so
when, if ever, would you use Fundamental mode?
Thanks,
Jeffery

* Re: fundamental mode uses?
@ 2010-03-23 22:54 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2010-03-23 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article
<05ad24c7-51d0-4345-8705-126bd6956afb@u9g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
 sable <zxcv_890@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Just a curiosity: As a relative newcomer to Emacs, I'm wondering if
> anyone ever actually uses Fundamental mode in the course of their
> work? My impression from reading the literature is that it's kind of a
> "baseline" mode that contains the functions, bindings, variables,
> etc., in their default form. But I couldn't find anything in the
> manual related to possible/appropriate uses of this mode. It seems
> like there's a specialized mode to cover all the main programming and
> markup languages, plus your basic text and word-processing modes, so
> when, if ever, would you use Fundamental mode?
> Thanks,
> Jeffery

When you're just viewing or editing plain, unstructured text.  Not
programming, not word processing, just working with random "stuff".

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: fundamental mode uses?
@ 2010-03-23 23:19 ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2010-03-23 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

sable wrote:
> Just a curiosity: As a relative newcomer to Emacs, I'm wondering if
> anyone ever actually uses Fundamental mode in the course of their
> work? My impression from reading the literature is that it's kind of a
> "baseline" mode that contains the functions, bindings, variables,
> etc., in their default form. But I couldn't find anything in the
> manual related to possible/appropriate uses of this mode. It seems
> like there's a specialized mode to cover all the main programming and
> markup languages, plus your basic text and word-processing modes, so
> when, if ever, would you use Fundamental mode?
> Thanks,
> Jeffery

If you've got flyspell-mode autoenabled for text-mode, then opening
some non language text files (logs, CSVs, hex dumps etc) in fundamental-mode
will stop flyspell-mode from going mad. Of course, you could just
toggle flyspell-mode of again....

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: fundamental mode uses?
@ 2010-03-24 18:25 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-03-24 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> when, if ever, would you use Fundamental mode?

Whenever I haven't written the corresponding major mode yet.

        Stefan "fundamental-mode is like Java's `Object' type"

* Re: fundamental mode uses?
@ 2010-05-07  0:18   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-05-07  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article
> <05ad24c7-51d0-4345-8705-126bd6956afb@u9g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>  sable <zxcv_890@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just a curiosity: As a relative newcomer to Emacs, I'm wondering if
>> anyone ever actually uses Fundamental mode in the course of their
>> work? My impression from reading the literature is that it's kind of a
>> "baseline" mode that contains the functions, bindings, variables,
>> etc., in their default form. But I couldn't find anything in the
>> manual related to possible/appropriate uses of this mode. It seems
>> like there's a specialized mode to cover all the main programming and
>> markup languages, plus your basic text and word-processing modes, so
>> when, if ever, would you use Fundamental mode?
>> Thanks,
>> Jeffery
>
> When you're just viewing or editing plain, unstructured text.  Not
> programming, not word processing, just working with random "stuff".

I even keep a dedicated buffer around for that:

(with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "*Fundamental*")
   (unless (eq major-mode 'fundamental-mode)
     (rename-buffer (concat "*" mode-name "*"))))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA