all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help: using spaces when I save a new file (C-w)
@ 2012-03-17 17:04 Jiehong Ma
From: Jiehong Ma @ 2012-03-17 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have been using GNU/Emacs for a few months now and I'm still annoyed by a
little thing: each time I want to save the buffer in a new file, I hit C-w
but I can't use spaces in the file name since the mini-buffer tries to
complete my name (as TAB does too). However, spaces in filenames are quite
common for me and now most of filesystems deal well with spaces in filename.

Is there any way to get that working?

Thanks!

Jiehong

* Re: Help: using spaces when I save a new file (C-w)
@ 2012-03-17 18:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-03-17 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Jiehong Ma <ma.jiehong@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:04:01 +0100
>
> I have been using GNU/Emacs for a few months now and I'm still annoyed by a
> little thing: each time I want to save the buffer in a new file, I hit C-w
> but I can't use spaces in the file name since the mini-buffer tries to
> complete my name (as TAB does too). However, spaces in filenames are quite
> common for me and now most of filesystems deal well with spaces in filename.
>
> Is there any way to get that working?

Yes: upgrade to a newer Emacs version.  This was fixed in Emacs 22.1,
which was released in June 2007.

If you are already using a newer version, you must have something in
your .emacs that disables this feature.

* Re: Help: using spaces when I save a new file (C-w)
@ 2012-03-17 18:36 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-03-17 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jiehong Ma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.3.2012 um 18:04 schrieb Jiehong Ma:

> Is there any way to get that working?

The most simple approach is to use C-q SPACE.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Eat the rich – the poor are tough and stringy.

* RE: Help: using spaces when I save a new file (C-w)
@ 2012-03-17 19:16   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-03-17 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii', help-gnu-emacs

> Yes: upgrade to a newer Emacs version.  This was fixed in Emacs 22.1,
> which was released in June 2007.
>
> If you are already using a newer version, you must have something in
> your .emacs that disables this feature.

And if you have an older Emacs version and do not upgrade you can bind SPC in
keymaps `minibuffer-local-completion-map' and `minibuffer-local-must-match-map'
to command `self-insert-command'.  (The problem is that SPC is bound by default
to `minibuffer-complete-word' in those keymaps.)

(As Peter mentioned, if you do not want to fix this generally you can just use
`C-q SPC' whenever you need to insert a space char.)