all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* java.lang.NullPointerException in Emacs but not in terminal
@ 2009-04-26 10:27 Henri Fischer
From: Henri Fischer @ 2009-04-26 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all, I'm learning Java with the help of Head First Java. Using
Emacs GUI. I made three classes for the SimpleDotComGame. When I run
main in Emacs I get the NPE. When I run the code from terminal, it all
works fine. The terminal waits for my input (a String value) and then
proceeds as planned. But when I use the Shell Command to run the code
from Emacs, it doesn't wait for my input, returns null and runs into
the NPE (I guess). Why does my code behave like that in Emacs and not
in terminal?

I currently on "Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.6.0, Carbon Version
1.6.0) of 2009-01-03 on seijiz.local".

* Re: java.lang.NullPointerException in Emacs but not in terminal
@ 2009-04-26 11:46 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-26 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henri Fischer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.04.2009 um 12:27 schrieb Henri Fischer:

> Why does my code behave like that in Emacs and not in terminal?

Because Shell Command is meant for asynchronous use and does not
attach a terminal to the process? Your Java code could test for this!
(And report or complain.) What about interactive use? In *shell* or
*terminal* or even a *compilation* buffer?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _