I can't reproduce the problem on my Fedora 29 x86-64 platform. My build log is attached (compressed). One difference is that I didn't use the configure argument "--host=$(rpm -E '%{_arch}-fc%{fedora}-%{_host_os}%{_gnu}')", which caused ar, ranlib, and pkg-config to not be found on your platform. What happens if you omit the --host argument? Also, the first command discrepancy is that my build log says "GEN ../../../etc/charsets/8859-2.map" and similarly for other *.map files, whereas yours does not, and there are other places where it appears that your directory contains files that are already built and may have the wrong contents. I suggest looking into that.