all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why can only view at most TWO windows?
@ 2008-12-08 19:02 seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-12-08 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It seems one can open multiple windows but only TWO will be visible at
a time.  Is there any way to change that?

Chris

* Re: Why can only view at most TWO windows?
@ 2008-12-08 19:07 ` Charles Sebold
       [not found] ` <mailman.2252.1228765492.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Charles Sebold @ 2008-12-08 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8 Dec 2008, seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:

> It seems one can open multiple windows but only TWO will be visible at
> a time.  Is there any way to change that?

First, I guess we'd want to make sure of whether you mean windows or
frames.  Emacs' nomenclature is a little unusual on that point.

,----[ (info "(emacs)Frames") ]
| When using a graphical display, you can create multiple windows at the
| system in a single Emacs session.  Each system-level window that
| belongs to Emacs displays a "frame" which can contain one or several
| Emacs windows.  A frame initially contains a single general-purpose
| Emacs window which you can subdivide vertically or horizontally into
| smaller windows.  A frame normally contains its own echo area and
| minibuffer, but you can make frames that don't have these--they use the
| echo area and minibuffer of another frame.
|
|    To avoid confusion, we reserve the word "window" for the
| subdivisions that Emacs implements, and never use it to refer to a
| frame.
`----

I know that I can open more than two frames or windows, and do it
frequently.

Can you tell us what you do to try to open more than one?
--
Charles Sebold                                     8th of December, 2008
 GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) | Gnus v5.11 | org-mode 6.14

* Re: Why can only view at most TWO windows?
@ 2008-12-08 19:09   ` Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2008-12-08 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8 Dec 2008, Charles Sebold wrote:

> First, I guess we'd want to make sure of whether you mean windows or
> frames.  Emacs' nomenclature is a little unusual on that point.

Sorry, I hadn't read your other post yet.

Does the Elisp manual reference below help?

(info "(elisp)Selecting Windows")
--

@ 2008-12-08 19:44 ` Ian Eure
       [not found] ` <mailman.2252.1228765492.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ian Eure @ 2008-12-08 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: seberino; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 8, 2008, at 11:02 AM, seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:

> It seems one can open multiple windows but only TWO will be visible at
> a time.  Is there any way to change that?

You must be doing something wrong, you can view as many windows as you
want.

Try:
C-x 2 - split-window-vertically
C-x 3 - split-window-horizontally

  - Ian

@ 2008-12-09  6:35   ` seberino
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2296.1228815867.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: seberino @ 2008-12-09  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 8, 11:44 am, Ian Eure <i...@digg.com> wrote:

> Try:
> C-x 2 - split-window-vertically
> C-x 3 - split-window-horizontally
>
>   - Ian

That works.....doing switch-to-buffer-other-window multiple times does
not.

cs

* Re: Why can only view at most TWO windows?
@ 2008-12-09  9:44     ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2296.1228815867.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-12-09  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: seberino@spawar.navy.mil; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:35 AM, seberino@spawar.navy.mil
<seberino@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 11:44 am, Ian Eure <i...@digg.com> wrote:
>
>> Try:
>> C-x 2 - split-window-vertically
>> C-x 3 - split-window-horizontally
>>
>>   - Ian
>
> That works.....doing switch-to-buffer-other-window multiple times does
> not.

It is not supposed to split the current window. Do you think the doc
string need to be enhanced?

@ 2008-12-10  4:58       ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-12-10  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.2296.1228815867.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 "Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:35 AM, seberino@spawar.navy.mil
> <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 11:44 am, Ian Eure <i...@digg.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Try:
> >> C-x 2 - split-window-vertically
> >> C-x 3 - split-window-horizontally
> >>
> >>   - Ian
> >
> > That works.....doing switch-to-buffer-other-window multiple times does
> > not.
>
> It is not supposed to split the current window. Do you think the doc
> string need to be enhanced?

Or the name?  "other-window" seems pretty obvious to me that it will use
the other window that's already there.  The only time it needs to create
a new window is when there isn't any "other" window.

Sounds like he wants a function switch-to-buffer-new-window that always
splits the window.  Take a look at the source code of
switch-to-buffer-other-window, I think it should be pretty easy to write
a command that splits the window unconditionally.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Why can only view at most TWO windows?
@ 2008-12-10  6:43         ` seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-12-10  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 9, 8:58 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Sounds like he wants a function switch-to-buffer-new-window that always
> splits the window.

Yes that's exactly right.

From: seberino @ 2008-12-10  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2008-12-11  6:38           ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-12-11  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> On Dec 9, 8:58 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Sounds like he wants a function switch-to-buffer-new-window that always
>> splits the window.
>
> Yes that's exactly right.

Do you mean:

C-x 2
C-x 4 b

If so, you could bind a convenient key to that, as a keyboard macro
e.g. (global-set-key (kbd "C-c 2") (kbd "C-x 2 C-x 4 b"))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA