all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Selection pane font/face colour problem
@ 2005-05-31 19:50 Peter G.
       [not found] ` <mailman.2646.1117571016.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter G. @ 2005-05-31 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a minor problem with the colour in my "interactive selections"
under X.

For instance, if I choose the selection "save buffer as.." I get a
selection pane that looks like this:
http://img244.echo.cx/my.php?image=em1iz.jpg

My font/face foreground colour is obviously an inappropriate light-grey
colour. Does anybody know what face controls the colour or how else I
can change the colour of the font?

--
Regards, Peter
Topposters and other annoying elements will be killfiled in silence.

* Re: Selection pane font/face colour problem
@ 2005-05-31 20:19 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2646.1117571016.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-05-31 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.05.2005 um 21:50 schrieb Peter G.:

> My font/face foreground colour is obviously an inappropriate light-grey
> colour. Does anybody know what face controls the colour or how else I
> can change the colour of the font?

Position the cursor on any of those too light characters and type 'C-u
C-x =' which will open a *Help* buffer containing too the description
of the used font-face. You should then be able to proceed ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
others. - Groucho Marx

@ 2005-05-31 22:35   ` Peter G.
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2737.1117617220.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter G. @ 2005-05-31 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> My font/face foreground colour is obviously an inappropriate light-grey
>> colour. Does anybody know what face controls the colour or how else I
>> can change the colour of the font?
>>

> Position the cursor on any of those too light characters and type 'C-u
> C-x =' which will open a *Help* buffer containing too the description of the
> used font-face. You should then be able to proceed ...

I can't. It's not possible for me to have Emacs process those keypresses
while in the "save buffer as.." selection window.

--

@ 2005-06-01  8:54     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2737.1117617220.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-01  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.06.2005 um 00:35 schrieb Peter G.:

> I can't. It's not possible for me to have Emacs process those
> keypresses
> while in the "save buffer as.." selection window.

Now I understand: it does not happen *in* Emacs but with a pop-up
window!

Here are some possible pointers:

Emacs.dialog*.font:     -*-new century
schoolbook-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
Emacs.dialog*.background:       RosyBrown
Emacs.dialog*.foreground:       MediumSpringGreen

Emacs*popup.font:               -*-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
Emacs*popup.background:         Pink
Emacs*popup.foreground:         DarkGreen

They have to be put into .Xdefaults. More in Emacs' info node, X
Resources: C-h i m Emacs RET m X Resources RET.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Make it simple, as simple as possible but no simpler. (Albert Einstein)

@ 2005-06-03 12:22       ` Peter G.
From: Peter G. @ 2005-06-03 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 01.06.2005 um 00:35 schrieb Peter G.:
>
>> I can't. It's not possible for me to have Emacs process those keypresses
>> while in the "save buffer as.." selection window.
>>

> Now I understand: it does not happen *in* Emacs but with a pop-up
> window!

Exactly. I'm obviously not well aquianted enough with Linux to know
exactly what I'm talking about all the time ;)

Since your post I've been reading about widgets, Motif and
Emacs/Motif/Xdefault, but I still have the problem.

In my .Xdefaults I have (amongst others)

*foreground #[somgreycolour]

If I comment that one out, the font colour revert to the standard black,
but as it also messes with a lot of other font-instances, this is not a
viable solution.

I've tried adding some
Emacs*menu*foreground #[somecolour]
Emacs*dialog*foreground #[somecolour]
Emacs*popup*foreground #[somecolour]

And noticed that upon Emacs upstart there is a short moment where Motif
uses those new designated colours but that it seems to be replaced with
another set of colurs for Emacs*(menu|dialog|popup)* directly after
upstart, making my problem persist. :-/

Any extra pointers?

--

@ 2005-06-03 13:22         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-03 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs help

Am 03.06.2005 um 14:22 schrieb Peter G.:

> *foreground #[somgreycolour]

Put the tool's name in front of that X resource. Otherwise it's meant
for all! (BTW: the colon, i.e. ``:´´, belongs to the syntax, you
shouldn't neglect it.)

> And noticed that upon Emacs upstart there is a short moment where Motif
> uses those new designated colours but that it seems to be replaced with
> another set of colurs for Emacs*(menu|dialog|popup)* directly after
> upstart, making my problem persist. :-/
>
> Any extra pointers?

Kick Motif into its guts! And use something better than this dead born
MS Windows clone.

Motif has always been a pain in some distance from my own guts. The
good thing with Motif is that without a brain you can't feel it! I
really can't help you more ... they've created so many undocumented
things that, usually, come out of the guts ...

There is truss, trace, and such to follow the execution of a
programme's code. Use any of them to check what happens when GNU Emacs
starts, i.e. which non-Emacs Lisp files opened and which other
programmes are started. To do this more efficiently use -Q as sole
argument for Emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete