all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* buffer name face
@ 2009-12-19 19:57 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-12-19 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How do you change the color of the buffer name in the mode line?  In tty
on Ubuntu 9.10, it's a pale grey that I can't really see.

I've been searching the manual, the elisp manual, emacswiki and once
again, I can't come up with the right search terms.

* RE: buffer name face
@ 2009-12-19 20:30 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-12-19 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Sean Sieger', help-gnu-emacs

> How do you change the color of the buffer name in the mode
> line?  In tty on Ubuntu 9.10, it's a pale grey that I can't really see.
>
> I've been searching the manual, the elisp manual, emacswiki and once
> again, I can't come up with the right search terms.

Dunno about tty, but otherwise, customizing face `mode-line-buffer-id' should
solve the problem.

* Re: buffer name face
@ 2009-12-19 20:33 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-12-19 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> How do you change the color of the buffer name in the mode line?  In tty
> on Ubuntu 9.10, it's a pale grey that I can't really see.

The buffer name is controlled by the buffer-local variable
mode-line-buffer-identification.

You can set it directly, but if you want to set its color and also
preserve the help, local-map, etc, you can try something like this:

(let* ((bid (propertized-buffer-identification "%12b"))
       (bstr (car bid)))
  (add-text-properties 0 (length bstr) '(face (:foreground "black"
:background "orange")) bstr)
  (setq-default mode-line-buffer-identification bid))

Hope this helps,

    Juanma

* Re: buffer name face
@ 2009-12-19 20:35   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-12-19 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Sean Sieger, help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 21:30, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> Dunno about tty, but otherwise, customizing face `mode-line-buffer-id' should
> solve the problem.

Or you can do this, which is easier :-)

I use the other method because I do change also the length of the
buffer name, etc. i.e., I use "%b" instead of "%12b".

    Juanma

* Re: buffer name face
@ 2009-12-19 20:53     ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-12-19 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

    On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 21:30, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

    > Dunno about tty, but otherwise, customizing face
    > `mode-line-buffer-id' should solve the problem.

    Or you can do this, which is easier :-)

    I use the other method because I do change also the length of the
    buffer name, etc. i.e., I use "%b" instead of "%12b".

Thank you, guys.

* Re: buffer name face
@ 2009-12-19 22:55 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-12-19 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.12.2009 um 20:57 schrieb Sean Sieger:

> How do you change the color of the buffer name in the mode line?  In
> tty
> on Ubuntu 9.10, it's a pale grey that I can't really see.

In GNU Emacs 22 I have this customisation:

  '(mode-line ((t (:background "DeepSkyBlue1" :foreground
"black" :height 1.25 :family "courier"))))
  '(mode-line-inactive ((t (:inherit mode-line :background
"PaleTurquoise1" :foreground "grey20" :box (:line-width -1 :color
"grey75") :weight light :family "profontwindows"))))

The difference between an active and an inactive buffer is not
visible, also the font change. The mode-line is pretty well visible
and the black text too.

--
Greetings

   Pete      <\
              _\     O  _
             |o \  _\\_/-\='
_____________(_)|-(_)  (_)___________________________________

* Re: buffer name face
@ 2009-12-22  1:35   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-12-22  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    In GNU Emacs 22 I have this customisation:

     '(mode-line ((t (:background "DeepSkyBlue1" :foreground "black"
    :height 1.25 :family "courier"))))
     '(mode-line-inactive ((t (:inherit mode-line :background
    "PaleTurquoise1" :foreground "grey20" :box (:line-width -1 :color
    "grey75") :weight light :family "profontwindows"))))

    The difference between an active and an inactive buffer is not
    visible, also the font change. The mode-line is pretty well visible
    and the black text too.

Thanks for this, Peter; I'll experiment with it.