all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tab expansion of variables, Folding and other features
@ 2009-08-22 17:28 lichtkind
From: lichtkind @ 2009-08-22 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I use gnu emacs 22.3.1.

Is there a way to customize something like:
- Tab-expansion of variables
- Folding/Outlines of source code for example in cperl
- Tabbars like in firefox or jedit
- automatic save windows (desktop.el saves only frames, desktopaid.el
does not wok, too.)
- a way to show xml-files like in firefox. Special with the
possibility of folding. I have tried nxml, but didn't find a way.. .
- when I first run jedit, and then call jedit with a file over the
shell, the file opens in the already opened jedit. I want the  same
with emacs. Until now it always start a new frame.

Best regards
lichtkind

* Re: Tab expansion of variables, Folding and other features
@ 2009-08-22 18:16 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-22 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lichtkind; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 7:28 PM, lichtkind<lichtkind3@web.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use gnu emacs 22.3.1.
>
> Is there a way to customize something like:
> - Tab-expansion of variables

Yes, see EmacsWiki.

> - Folding/Outlines of source code for example in cperl

Yes. See hs-minor-mode in Emacs.

> - Tabbars like in firefox or jedit

Yes, but there are other options, see EmacsWiki (or nXhtml where I
include the version I find best ;-)

> - automatic save windows (desktop.el saves only frames, desktopaid.el
> does not wok, too.)

Yes, see winsav.el in nXhtml.

> - a way to show xml-files like in firefox. Special with the
> possibility of folding. I have tried nxml, but didn't find a way.. .

There is folding in nxml-mode, but maybe it is a bit difficult to use.
I have included another version in nXhtml. (Did I release that version
yet?)

> - when I first run jedit, and then call jedit with a file over the
> shell, the file opens in the already opened jedit. I want the  same
> with emacs. Until now it always start a new frame.

See emacsclient.

@ 2009-08-22 18:26 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-22 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lichtkind; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.08.2009 um 19:28 schrieb lichtkind:

> - Tabbars like in firefox or jedit

	tabbar.el

> - automatic save windows (desktop.el saves only frames, desktopaid.el
> does not wok, too.)

	session.el

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
others.
				- Groucho Marx

* Re: Tab expansion of variables, Folding and other features
@ 2009-08-22 18:31   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-22 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, lichtkind

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Peter Dyballa<Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

>> - automatic save windows (desktop.el saves only frames, desktopaid.el
>> does not wok, too.)
>
>        session.el

I do not believe session.el save windows and frames config. Does it
really do that?

* Re: Tab expansion of variables, Folding and other features
@ 2009-08-22 18:38     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-22 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, lichtkind

Am 22.08.2009 um 20:31 schrieb Lennart Borgman:

> I do not believe session.el save windows and frames config. Does it
> really do that?

It does *not*, of course, but it saves buffers, histories,... A
combination of desktop and session is sufficient – at least for me,
who knows how to find a buried buffer.

--
Greetings

   Pete

They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me.

* Re: Tab expansion of variables, Folding and other features
@ 2009-08-22 23:20       ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5186.1251017651.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-22 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, lichtkind

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Peter Dyballa<Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 22.08.2009 um 20:31 schrieb Lennart Borgman:
>
>> I do not believe session.el save windows and frames config. Does it
>> really do that?
>

> It does *not*, of course, but it saves buffers, histories,... A combination
> of desktop and session is sufficient – at least for me, who knows how to
> find a buried buffer.

I thought lichtkind asked for something that saved windows so I just
was a bit surprised. What does session.el offer that desktop.el does
not offer today?

* Re: Tab expansion of variables, Folding and other features
@ 2009-08-23  8:51         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5186.1251017651.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-23  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, lichtkind

Am 23.08.2009 um 01:20 schrieb Lennart Borgman:

> I thought lichtkind asked for something that saved windows so I just
> was a bit surprised. What does session.el offer that desktop.el does
> not offer today?

Histories? Kill ring? Text cursor position in the buffer? The last
few years I did not check whether I could live without session.el...

--
Greetings

   Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found
ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
				– Blaise Pascal

@ 2009-08-23  9:28           ` lichtkind
From: lichtkind @ 2009-08-23  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs