all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Would like to have alt key mapped to Windows key
@ 2017-11-04 20:23 sellputcall
       [not found] ` <mailman.2929.1509830892.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: sellputcall @ 2017-11-04 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

emacs: GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.19) of 2017-09-14

OS: Fedora 25

My keyboard's alt key seems to have conked out. Both of them.
So alt keys in emacs are missing which is a real pain. I dont want to rely on the Esc key all the time.

Is there a way to map the windows key, which emacs seems to call "s-" to the alt key. This would be very convenient to have until i replace my laptop keyboard.

So eg: "s-w" would map to "m-w".
Right now i see that the s-w combination is undefined.

Can i do this via a set-key command or would i have to create a new keymap ?

tia,

Sunil

* Re: Would like to have alt key mapped to Windows key
@ 2017-11-04 21:27 ` Mario Castelán Castro
       [not found] ` <mailman.2929.1509830892.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mario Castelán Castro @ 2017-11-04 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 04/11/17 14:23, sellputcall@gmail.com wrote:
> My keyboard's alt key seems to have conked out. Both of them.
> So alt keys in emacs are missing which is a real pain. I dont want to rely on the Esc key all the time.
>
> Is there a way to map the windows key, which emacs seems to call "s-" to the alt key. This would be very convenient to have until i replace my laptop keyboard.

I do not know of how to do this in Emacs, but you can do it system-wide
with xmodmap and maybe setxkbmap (check the man pages). You can place a
command for this in “~/.xsessionrc” or equivalent.

--
Do not eat animals; respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan

@ 2017-11-10 17:54   ` sellputcall
From: sellputcall @ 2017-11-10 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mario, yes i have changed the Windows key to act as the Alt key. So I'm much happier in emacs now, especially considering I live in emacs.

However, this change was done in Gnome and while addresses the issue, it removes the behavior of that windows key from the desktop world.

Hence, it would be great to know how to specifically do that in emacs. To localize the change. And just for my knowledge.

Thanks,

Sunil