all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* what is <find>?
@ 2010-06-03 16:40 patrol
From: patrol @ 2010-06-03 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
After I did a nonincremental search with M-x search-forward, Emacs
sent me this text message: "You can run the command  'search-forward'
with <find>." Can someone please tell me what "<find>" is? I found
something about "find" in the manual related to dired, but it didn't
look related. And googling <find> is hard because Google ignores
special characters when searching.
Thanks

* Re: what is <find>?
@ 2010-06-03 17:46 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <47585daf-bcd4-498a-b05d-d8bdbcfefa50@y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-06-03 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

patrol <patrol_boat@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> After I did a nonincremental search with M-x search-forward, Emacs
> sent me this text message: "You can run the command  'search-forward'
> with <find>." Can someone please tell me what "<find>" is? I found
> something about "find" in the manual related to dired, but it didn't
> look related. And googling <find> is hard because Google ignores
> special characters when searching.
> Thanks

<find> is the name of the Find key.

If you use X11, you can bind it to a physical key if you know its
keycode with the line:

   keycode 78 = Find

in ~/.Xmodmap

You can also ignore it, since with emacs you can bind any key to a command.

So assuming you want to be able to search-forward by typing just: C-c C-s
you can put:

   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c C-s") 'search-forward)

in ~/.emacs, or for temporarily try it out:

   M-x global-set-key RET C-c C-s search-forward RET

Then if you type:

   C-h w search-forward RET

you should see the added key binding.

* Re: what is <find>?
       [not found]   ` <47585daf-bcd4-498a-b05d-d8bdbcfefa50@y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-06-04 14:34     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-06-04 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Great answer, thanks! I'll definitely do the key binding you suggest,
> but I'd also like to be able to duplicate the way incremental search
> works, where you can repeatedly press the same key (C-s) to move to
> subsequent matches. Would there be a way to set it up where C-c C-s
> not only finds the first occurrence of the search string, but pressing
> C-c C-s again and again finds subsequent occurrences? Or would that
> require some programming with Elisp? Alternatively, I guess I could
> just pick a different key binding for the command nonincremental-
> repeat-search-forward.

Makes me wonder: why in the world would you want to use
non-incremental search?

* Re: what is <find>?
@ 2010-06-04 15:07       ` patrol
From: patrol @ 2010-06-04 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 4, 10:34 am, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Makes me wonder: why in the world would you want to use
> non-incremental search?

Well, it's a good question. I guess one reason is that I'm just more
used to it from working with other programs (though the future trend
does seem to be incremental searches -- IE8, MS Word 2010). Sometimes
I find the highlighting of multiple-matches distracting when I just
want the next match. I wouldn't say these are strong reasons though,
and I'm sure I'd get used to isearch if I just used it more. I suppose
most Emacs users/developers feel as you do, which would explain why
there's so little key binding support for noninc search commands in
Emacs.

* Re: what is <find>?
@ 2010-06-09 12:18         ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-06-09 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > Makes me wonder: why in the world would you want to use
> > non-incremental search?
>
> Well, it's a good question. I guess one reason is that I'm just more
> used to it from working with other programs (though the future trend
> does seem to be incremental searches -- IE8, MS Word 2010).

Well, why don't you bind C-f (like in most M$ progs) to non-
incremental search and leave C-s where it is?

HTH
  Rolf