all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Symbol's function definition is void
@ 2013-06-06  8:53 Lalit Saraswat
From: Lalit Saraswat @ 2013-06-06  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

When i try to save something in emacs, i am getting following error:
"Symbol's function definition is void: auto-update-file-header"

more detailed log:
#########
("C:\\emacs-22.3\\bin\\emacs.exe")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
.emacs has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
run-hook-with-args-until-success: Symbol's function definition is void:
auto-update-file-header [4 times]
Auto-saving...done
run-hook-with-args-until-success: Symbol's function definition is void:
auto-update-file-header
run-hook-with-args-until-success: Symbol's function definition is void:
auto-update-file-header
#########

earlier it was working fine. i tried to add default header in emacs using
header2.el file. after that i am consistently facing this issue.

I also restored .emacs in previous working version, but this issue is still
there.

Please help in resolving this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Lalit Saraswat

* RE: Symbol's function definition is void
@ 2013-06-06 16:51 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-06-06 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lalit Saraswat, help-gnu-emacs

> When i try to save something in emacs, i am getting following error:
> "Symbol's function definition is void: auto-update-file-header"
>
> earlier it was working fine. i tried to add default header in emacs using
> header2.el file. after that i am consistently facing this issue.

Sorry for your trouble.  If you use `auto-update-file-header' on a hook
that gets run then you also need to load the library that defines it: header2.el.

Put one of these in your .emacs: (require 'header2)
or (autoload 'auto-update-file-header "header2"
             "Update file header if file is modified.")

I've added this info to the file header of header2.el now.  Thx.

* Re: Symbol's function definition is void
@ 2013-06-06 17:52   ` Lalit Saraswat
From: Lalit Saraswat @ 2013-06-06 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

thanks adams. due to this issue i was not able to use emacs on my laptop.

few more questions on using this file.
1) i m not sure where to store this file. or how to add header2.el file
path in .emacs.
2) i want to add this header in different kind of file like
.c/.vhd/.v/.cpf/.upf. or in other word i want to use same header for any
kind of file. what should i add in .emacs.

Thanks and Regards,
Lalit

Thanks & Regards,
Lalit Saraswat
09654370077

@ 2013-06-06 18:21     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-06-06 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lalit Saraswat; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> few more questions on using this file.
> 1) i m not sure where to store this file. or how to add header2.el
> file path in .emacs.

Add its location to your option `load-path'.

 M-x customize-option load-path RET

or put this in your init file:

 (add-to-list 'load-path "YOUR LOCATION OF HEADER2.EL")

where the string is the directory where header2.el is located.

> 2) i want to add this header in different kind of file like
> .c/.vhd/.v/.cpf/.upf. or in other word i want to use same header
> for any kind of file. what should i add in .emacs.

As the file Commentary says:

;; To have Emacs add a file header whenever you create a new file in
;; some mode, put this in your init file (~/.emacs):
;;
;;   (autoload 'auto-make-header "header2")
;;   (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'auto-make-header)
;;   (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook   'auto-make-header)
;;   ...

`c-mode-common-hook' should take care of your .c files.
For the other files, figure out what major mode Emacs uses for each
of them, and then use (add-hook 'THAT_MODE 'auto-make-header).