all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Regular expression grouping not working?
@ 2020-02-08 19:17 Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2020-02-08 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm writing some code that includes the regular expression \\([^/]+/\\),
(looking for a path on GNU/Linux) which doesn't match what I expect it
should.

On the other hand, the regular expression [^/]+/, exactly the regular
expression within the first, does match.

That seems wrong somehow. Is there something I'm missing?

--
,Doug
d.lewan2000@gmail.com

Isn't there a difference between "acquittal" and "exoneration"?

* Re: Regular expression grouping not working?
@ 2020-02-08 19:30 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2020-02-08 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Lewan, help-gnu-emacs

Douglas Lewan [2020-02-08T14:17:54-05] wrote:

> I'm writing some code that includes the regular expression \\([^/]+/\\),
> (looking for a path on GNU/Linux) which doesn't match what I expect it
> should.

Maybe your backslash escaping is wrong. In regular expressions the
grouping is made with \( \) but within Lisp strings backslash has a
special meaning too and those must be escaped "\\( \\)".

> Is there something I'm missing?

I think we need more information about your code and input data.

--
///  OpenPGP key: 4E1055DC84E9DFF613D78557719D69D324539450
//  https://keys.openpgp.org/search?q=tlikonen@iki.fi

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Regular expression grouping not working?
@ 2020-02-08 19:48   ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2020-02-08 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen, help-gnu-emacs

On 2/8/20 2:30 PM, Teemu Likonen wrote:

> Douglas Lewan [2020-02-08T14:17:54-05] wrote:
>
>> I'm writing some code that includes the regular expression \\([^/]+/\\),
>> (looking for a path on GNU/Linux) which doesn't match what I expect it
>> should.
> Maybe your backslash escaping is wrong. In regular expressions the
> grouping is made with \( \) but within Lisp strings backslash has a
> special meaning too and those must be escaped "\\( \\)".

Damn! I was passing the double slash to a command I use to help me debug
regular expressions.

Hand it the right string and it matches just as expected. (Too much
kill-and-yank.)

Maybe now I can track down the real bug.

Thanks for helping me change my perspective.

@ 2020-02-17  0:15     ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2020-02-17  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

FWIW, you might want to try rx for your regular expressions. It
generates regexes from a readable sexp syntax, and is included in Emacs
proper. It's way easier to modify and reason.  See "(elisp) Rx
Notation".