all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Linux version of emacs on WinXP??
@ 2005-05-22 20:29 JS
From: JS @ 2005-05-22 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have tried to install the emacs version for windows but it sucks. I would
like to install the real linux version of emacs on winXP, is that possible?

I have a feeling that I need to install Cygwin but I have no idea wether its
possible or how to get started. Hope somone can help!

* Re: Linux version of emacs on WinXP??
@ 2005-05-22 20:47 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-05-22 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have tried to install the emacs version for windows but it sucks.

Just so we get a chance to improve it, could you describe the shortcomings
you thought made it suck?

> I would like to install the real linux version of emacs on winXP, is
> that possible?

Obviously the GNU/Linux version doesn't run on anything else than GNU/Linux.

> I have a feeling that I need to install Cygwin but I have no idea wether
> its possible or how to get started. Hope somone can help!

There is indeed a cygwin version of Emacs available, which may mimic the
Unix-behavior better than the native w32 version.  I think if you install
cygwin (go to the cygwin site and follow the download/install signs) you'll
be offered to install other packages, among which you should be able to
choose Emacs.

* Re: Linux version of emacs on WinXP??
@ 2005-05-22 21:12   ` JS
From: JS @ 2005-05-22 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> skrev i en meddelelse
> > I have tried to install the emacs version for windows but it sucks.
>
> Just so we get a chance to improve it, could you describe the shortcomings
> you thought made it suck?

Its a matter of taste and habbit I guess.

> > I would like to install the real linux version of emacs on winXP, is
> > that possible?
>
> Obviously the GNU/Linux version doesn't run on anything else than
GNU/Linux.

> > I have a feeling that I need to install Cygwin but I have no idea wether
> > its possible or how to get started. Hope somone can help!
>
> There is indeed a cygwin version of Emacs available, which may mimic the
> Unix-behavior better than the native w32 version.  I think if you install
> cygwin (go to the cygwin site and follow the download/install signs)
you'll
> be offered to install other packages, among which you should be able to
> choose Emacs.

I have tried that version but it is far form the GNU version

* Re: Linux version of emacs on WinXP??
@ 2005-05-22 21:34     ` Jason Rumney
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-05-22 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JS" <dsa.@asdf.com> writes:

>> There is indeed a cygwin version of Emacs available, which may mimic the
>> Unix-behavior better than the native w32 version.  I think if you install
>> cygwin (go to the cygwin site and follow the download/install signs)
> you'll
>> be offered to install other packages, among which you should be able to
>> choose Emacs.
>
> I have tried that version but it is far form the GNU version

It is precisely the GNU version, as is the Windows version of Emacs
you tried. Perhaps this "linux" Emacs you are looking for is not the
GNU version?

* Re: Linux version of emacs on WinXP??
@ 2005-05-22 21:45     ` don provan
       [not found]     ` <dsa._^_@asdf.com>
From: don provan @ 2005-05-22 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JS" <dsa.@asdf.com> writes:
> > > I have tried to install the emacs version for windows but it sucks.
> > > I would like to install the real linux version of emacs on winXP, is
> > > that possible?
> I have tried that version but it is far form the GNU version

I think you must be confused about what "the GNU version" really is.
The Emacs for windows as well as the cygwin version are, for practical
purposes, indistinguishable from the Emacs that runs on Linux. Perhaps
you're seeing a difference caused by the display system -- a different
font or something perhaps? -- or you're comparing Emacs to XEmacs or
an old version of Emacs to a new version or something like that. Maybe
you have a .emacs file on Linux, and you haven't copied it to windows
so your environment hasn't been personalize in the same way?

If you perhaps told us a little about why you are dissatified, someone
could help you out better.
-don

@ 2005-05-23  4:10       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-05-23  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "JS" <dsa.@asdf.com>
> Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:12:56 +0200
>
> > Just so we get a chance to improve it, could you describe the shortcomings
> > you thought made it suck?
>
> Its a matter of taste and habbit I guess.
> [...]
> > There is indeed a cygwin version of Emacs available, which may mimic the
> > Unix-behavior better than the native w32 version.  I think if you install
> > cygwin (go to the cygwin site and follow the download/install signs) you'll
> > be offered to install other packages, among which you should be able to
> > choose Emacs.
>
> I have tried that version but it is far form the GNU version

Such laconic responses hardly give us any chance to help you find a
version of Emacs that would be more palatable to you.  How about if
you tell more, like what versions of the native and Cygwin build did
you try, or what are the most annoying problems with each one of them?
It could be that you just need to fetch a different distribution to get
what you want.

In any case, if the Cygwin build, which looks exactly like the
GNU/Linux one (because it's built with the same toolkits) is still not
suitable, I wonder what version do you use on GNU/Linux.  What does
that GNU/Linux version say if you type "M-x emacs-version RET"?  Was
it perhaps built with some specific toolkit?

* Re: Linux version of emacs on WinXP??
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]     ` <dsa._^_@asdf.com>
@ 2005-05-23 19:51     ` Kelly Felkins
From: Kelly Felkins @ 2005-05-23 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

JS <dsa <at> asdf.com> writes:

> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier <at> iro.umontreal.ca> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:87zmunxa5n.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help <at> gnu.org...
> > > I have tried to install the emacs version for windows but it sucks.
> >
> > Just so we get a chance to improve it, could you describe the shortcomings
> > you thought made it suck?
>
> Its a matter of taste and habbit I guess.
>
> > > I would like to install the real linux version of emacs on winXP, is
> > > that possible?
> >
> > Obviously the GNU/Linux version doesn't run on anything else than
> GNU/Linux.
> >
> > > I have a feeling that I need to install Cygwin but I have no idea wether
> > > its possible or how to get started. Hope somone can help!
> >
> > There is indeed a cygwin version of Emacs available, which may mimic the
> > Unix-behavior better than the native w32 version.  I think if you install
> > cygwin (go to the cygwin site and follow the download/install signs)
> you'll
> > be offered to install other packages, among which you should be able to
> > choose Emacs.
>
> I have tried that version but it is far form the GNU version

The x enabled version of emacs on cygwin is quite nice and I use it
all the time. There are a couple small hurdles to overcome, but they
are really small.

1) install cygwin and emacs. There is lots of useful information on
   this at cygwin.com (check the users guides for cygwin and cygwin-x,
   and the mailing list archives), but I also have perhaps more
   succinct instructions at
   http://kellyfelkins.org/article/6/installing-cygwin.

2) Once you are running cygwin emacs (note, I'm not talking about
   nt-emacs) the file system looks somewhat like *nix (or
   linux). Cygwin creates the file system under the cygwin install
   directory. Often you want to open a file somewhere else, like in
   the root of c: (c:/). To get there, in cygwin, and therefore cygwin
   emacs, you would open /cygdrive/c...

Really very simple. Works great. Enjoy.

-Kelly