all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* *Messages*: how to make lines there wider (ie not truncated)
@ 2005-01-15  5:04 David Combs
       [not found] ` <mailman.13289.1105789072.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Combs @ 2005-01-15  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Notice, from the ellipses (dots), how they currently get truncated:

Mark saved where search started
9 lines matched
Saving file /dkcjunk/phones.mss...
Wrote /dkcjunk/phones.mss
Mark set
Saving file /dkcjunk/internet-todo.mss...
Wrote /dkcjunk/internet-todo.mss
Mark set [3 times]
Saving file /dkcjunk/internet-todo.mss...
Wrote /dkcjunk/internet-todo.mss
Saving file /dkcjunk/sundgrep.mss...
Wrote /dkcjunk/sundgrep.mss
Mark set
Saving file /dkcjunk/internet-todo.mss...
Wrote /dkcjunk/internet-todo.mss
Mark set
Saving file /dkcjunk/internet-todo.mss...
Wrote /dkcjunk/internet-todo.mss
Saving file /dkcjunk/internet-todo.mss...

Crazy -- you lose maybe critical info.

Thanks,

David

* Re: *Messages*: how to make lines there wider (ie not truncated)
@ 2005-01-15 11:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.13289.1105789072.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-01-15 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: 15 Jan 2005 00:04:18 -0500
>
> Notice, from the ellipses (dots), how they currently get truncated:
>
> Mark saved where search started
> 9 lines matched
> Saving file /dkcjunk/phones.mss...
> Wrote /dkcjunk/phones.mss

??? What evidence do you have that these ellipses are the sign of
truncation?  AFAICS, everything you cited are the full text of the
messages (including the dots), no truncation anywhere in sight.

FWIW, I just looked into my *Messages* buffer, and I clearly see there
that messages that are too long for the frame are wrapped around using
continuation lines, not truncated.

So please look closer at what you thought to be the problem and see
what led you to this incorrect conclusion.

@ 2005-01-22 21:10   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2005-01-22 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.13289.1105789072.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
>> Date: 15 Jan 2005 00:04:18 -0500
>>
>> Notice, from the ellipses (dots), how they currently get truncated:
>>
>> Mark saved where search started
>> 9 lines matched
>> Saving file /dkcjunk/phones.mss...
>> Wrote /dkcjunk/phones.mss
>
>??? What evidence do you have that these ellipses are the sign of
>truncation?  AFAICS, everything you cited are the full text of the
>messages (including the dots), no truncation anywhere in sight.
>
>FWIW, I just looked into my *Messages* buffer, and I clearly see there
>that messages that are too long for the frame are wrapped around using
>continuation lines, not truncated.
>
>So please look closer at what you thought to be the problem and see
>what led you to this incorrect conclusion.

Thanks for clearing it up, Eli.

But I bet I'm not the only one confused by the three-dots, their
meaning.

What do you suppose "..." does mean here, typically?

@ 2005-01-23  4:41     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-01-23  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:10:59 +0000 (UTC)
>
> What do you suppose "..." does mean here, typically?

They are the exact replica of the text that was displayed in the echo
area.  E.g., when you save a buffer, Emacs first displays

   "Saving /foo/bar/baz..."

there, with the ellipsis to tell that a prolonged
operation is in progress, then replaces that with

   "Wrote /foo/bar/baz".

The *Messages* buffer simply stores this text verbatim.