all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs utf-8 coding system
@ 2004-12-24 12:37 Thomas Beresford
From: Thomas Beresford @ 2004-12-24 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello,

I wanted to know how can I install the utf-8 coding system in my emacs 20.7.2,
because when I use `M-x list-coding-systems' I don't get the utf-8 listed here.
Thanks for your help!

* Re: Emacs utf-8 coding system
@ 2004-12-24 12:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.8623.1103894379.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-12-24 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Thomas Beresford <number18@spymac.com>
> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 05:37:29 -0700
>
> I wanted to know how can I install the utf-8 coding system in my emacs 20.7.2,
> because when I use `M-x list-coding-systems' I don't get the utf-8 listed here.

There was no support for UTF-8 in Emacs 20.x.  Please upgrade to Emacs
21.3, the latest version, to get that support.

* Re: Emacs utf-8 coding system
@ 2004-12-26 20:10 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.8623.1103894379.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2004-12-26 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.12.2004 um 13:37 schrieb Thomas Beresford:

> hello,
>
> I wanted to know how can I install the utf-8 coding system in my emacs
> 20.7.2,
> because when I use `M-x list-coding-systems' I don't get the utf-8
> listed here.

There was a private effort that is not supported anymore:
http://tclab.kaist.ac.kr/~otfried/Mule/

--
Greetings

   Pete

   Basic, n.:
	A programming language.  Related to certain social diseases in
that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.

* Re: Emacs utf-8 coding system
       [not found] ` <mailman.8623.1103894379.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-11 14:26   ` John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2005-02-11 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thomas Beresford <number18@spymac.com>
>> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 05:37:29 -0700
>>
>> I wanted to know how can I install the utf-8 coding system in my emacs 20.7.2,
>> because when I use `M-x list-coding-systems' I don't get the utf-8 listed here.
>
> There was no support for UTF-8 in Emacs 20.x.  Please upgrade to Emacs
> 21.3, the latest version, to get that support.

I have been trying to read .reg files which contain exports of parts of
a windows registry in emacs, and all I get is junk.  I've been told
that this is because the registry is output in unicode.  Notepad can
read these and so can vim on linux.  Is there any way I can view these
types of files in emacs? Thanks.

John

* Re: Emacs utf-8 coding system
@ 2005-02-11 14:42     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-02-11 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Thomas Beresford <number18@spymac.com>
>>> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 05:37:29 -0700
>>>
>>> I wanted to know how can I install the utf-8 coding system in my
>>> emacs 20.7.2, because when I use `M-x list-coding-systems' I don't
>>> get the utf-8 listed here.
>>
>> There was no support for UTF-8 in Emacs 20.x.  Please upgrade to
>> Emacs 21.3, the latest version, to get that support.
>
> I have been trying to read .reg files which contain exports of parts
> of a windows registry in emacs, and all I get is junk.  I've been
> told that this is because the registry is output in unicode.
> Notepad can read these and so can vim on linux.  Is there any way I
> can view these types of files in emacs? Thanks.

There was no support for UTF-8 in Emacs 20.x.  Please upgrade to Emacs
21.4, the latest version, to get that support.

I doubt that 5-year old versions of vim can read the files in UTF-8,
either.  Emacs 20.7 is just so last-millennium.

* Re: Emacs utf-8 coding system
@ 2005-02-11 14:59       ` John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2005-02-11 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

>>> There was no support for UTF-8 in Emacs 20.x.  Please upgrade to
>>> Emacs 21.3, the latest version, to get that support.
>>
>> I have been trying to read .reg files which contain exports of parts
>> of a windows registry in emacs, and all I get is junk.  I've been
>> told that this is because the registry is output in unicode.
>> Notepad can read these and so can vim on linux.  Is there any way I
>> can view these types of files in emacs? Thanks.
>
> There was no support for UTF-8 in Emacs 20.x.  Please upgrade to Emacs
> 21.4, the latest version, to get that support.
>
> I doubt that 5-year old versions of vim can read the files in UTF-8,
> either.  Emacs 20.7 is just so last-millennium.

I was not the original poster and am not using emacs-20.*.  I just
got emacs-21.4.1 yesterday and the reg file still looks like mostly
control charaters.  I tried C-x Ret f and a few encodings, but nothing
seems to change

* Re: Emacs utf-8 coding system
@ 2005-02-11 15:12         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-02-11 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

>>> I have been trying to read .reg files which contain exports of parts
>>> of a windows registry in emacs, and all I get is junk.  I've been
>>> told that this is because the registry is output in unicode.
>>> Notepad can read these and so can vim on linux.  Is there any way I
>>> can view these types of files in emacs? Thanks.
>>
>> There was no support for UTF-8 in Emacs 20.x.  Please upgrade to Emacs
>> 21.4, the latest version, to get that support.
>>
>> I doubt that 5-year old versions of vim can read the files in UTF-8,
>> either.  Emacs 20.7 is just so last-millennium.
>
> I was not the original poster and am not using emacs-20.*.  I just
> got emacs-21.4.1 yesterday and the reg file still looks like mostly
> control charaters.  I tried C-x Ret f and a few encodings, but
> nothing seems to change

Well, of course it depends on the settings of your language
environment.  utf-8 can't be detected reliably in all circumstances.
C-x RET f does not change the interpretations of the characters in
your buffer, but with what encodings they will get saved again.

You have to specify the coding system already when loading the file,
like with

C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f crap.reg RET

If you already loaded the file, you need to reload:

C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-v RET

* Re: Emacs utf-8 coding system
@ 2005-02-11 16:49         ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-02-11 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

> I tried C-x Ret f and a few encodings, but nothing
> seems to change

it could be that the file is in utf-16le, not utf-8.
try `universal-coding-system-argument' (normally bound
to `C-x RET c'), like so:

  C-x <RET> c utf-16le <RET> C-x C-f FILENAME <RET>

if that works, see also var `file-coding-system-alist'.

thi

* Re: Emacs utf-8 coding system
@ 2005-02-11 16:51         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-02-11 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com>
> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:59:01 -0500
>
> I was not the original poster and am not using emacs-20.*.  I just
> got emacs-21.4.1 yesterday and the reg file still looks like mostly
> control charaters.  I tried C-x Ret f and a few encodings, but nothing
> seems to change

Then the file is probably not a UTF-8 encoded file.

* Re: Emacs utf-8 coding system
@ 2005-02-11 19:30           ` John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2005-02-11 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@glug.org> writes:

> John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:
>
>> I tried C-x Ret f and a few encodings, but nothing
>> seems to change
>
> it could be that the file is in utf-16le, not utf-8.
> try `universal-coding-system-argument' (normally bound
> to `C-x RET c'), like so:
>
>   C-x <RET> c utf-16le <RET> C-x C-f FILENAME <RET>

This did it, thanks you.  reg files are apparently in utf-16-le

> if that works, see also var `file-coding-system-alist'.

So now it happens automajically.  Thanks agian.

John