all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How files should be saved, concerning type of line breaks
@ 2004-09-24 21:15 William Payne
From: William Payne @ 2004-09-24 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Say, I open an existing text file in emacs. I make some changes and when I
save it, Emacs should not change the type of line breaks (windows-style or
*nix-style). This is how it works now and that's good and I don't want to
change it. What I do need to change is the type of line breaks emacs uses
when I save a new file. Is there something I can put in my .emacs-file that
says something "always save new text files using linux style line breaks"
(or windows style, regardless of what platform I am on). I seem to remember
that there is a command I could issue from within emacs to accomplish this,
but I would like something automatic so to speak so I can save my files
using C-x C-s as normal, knowing what the type of line breaks will be used
regardless of platform.
Why do I want this? Well, when on Windows, I use a CVS version of Emacs that
I compiled myself. Thus, being made for Windows, Emacs saves new files (or
should I say buffers being written to disk) using windows style line breaks.
However, I also use Cygwin which is set to work with *nix-style line breaks,
that's why I want to change the default behaviour of Emacs.

How do I solve this?

/ WP

* Re: How files should be saved, concerning type of line breaks
@ 2004-09-25 16:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-09-25 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "William Payne" <mikas493_no_spam@student.liu.se>
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:15:55 +0200
>
> Why do I want this? Well, when on Windows, I use a CVS version of Emacs that
> I compiled myself. Thus, being made for Windows, Emacs saves new files (or
> should I say buffers being written to disk) using windows style line breaks.
> However, I also use Cygwin which is set to work with *nix-style line breaks,
> that's why I want to change the default behaviour of Emacs.
>
> How do I solve this?

Look up the description of the untranslated-filesystem feature
described in the node "Text and Binary" of the Emacs manual.