all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Could somebody please point me at a W32 makeinfo.exe.
@ 2004-08-25 20:43 Alan Mackenzie
       [not found] ` <mailman.114.1093493099.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2004-08-25 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I know this isn't quite the correct place to ask.  But texinfo users
tend to be Emacs users.

I'm looking for a reasonably up to date makeinfo binary to run on
MS-Windows 2000.  With Google, I could only find a somewhat older
version, one which sadly doesn't grok "@copying".

At my desk at work I have a W32 machine, but sadly no native compiler.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: Could somebody please point me at a W32 makeinfo.exe.
@ 2004-08-26  3:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.114.1093493099.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-26  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32 has Texinfo v4.6 which
should support @copying.

@ 2004-08-26 18:41   ` Alan Mackenzie
       [not found]     ` <mailman.327.1093602201.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2004-08-26 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote on Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:54:25 +0300:
>> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:43:47 +0000
>>
>> I'm looking for a reasonably up to date makeinfo binary to run on
>> MS-Windows 2000.  With Google, I could only find a somewhat older
>> version, one which sadly doesn't grok "@copying".

> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32 has Texinfo v4.6 which
> should support @copying.

It does indeed, I've got it, and it worked!  That is a useful
general-purpose address to know.

Thanks!

--

@ 2004-08-27 10:12     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.327.1093602201.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-27 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:41:11 +0000
>
> > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32 has Texinfo v4.6 which
> > should support @copying.
>
> It does indeed, I've got it, and it worked!  That is a useful
> general-purpose address to know.

That's true, but please note that some ports have bugs in them.  In
particular, the forward vs backslashes issue is quite broken in many
ports, and wildcards are not expanded as on Unix.  Caveat emptor!

Still, this is the best suite of GNU software ports for Windows,
AFAIU.

@ 2004-08-27 15:30       ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-08-27 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32 has Texinfo v4.6 which
> > > should support @copying.
> >
> > It does indeed, I've got it, and it worked!  That is a useful
> > general-purpose address to know.
>
> That's true, but please note that some ports have bugs in them.  In
> particular, the forward vs backslashes issue is quite broken in many
> ports, and wildcards are not expanded as on Unix.  Caveat emptor!
>
> Still, this is the best suite of GNU software ports for Windows,
> AFAIU.

I have used many of these tools and they seem to work
great. Anyone that have compared them?

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

/Mathias

* Re: Could somebody please point me at a W32 makeinfo.exe.
@ 2004-08-27 17:37         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-27 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com>
> Date: 27 Aug 2004 17:30:37 +0200
>
> I have used many of these tools and they seem to work
> great. Anyone that have compared them?

I didn't say they didn't work, just that they had bugs (or
misfeatures, if you like).  For example, `cp' doesn't grok backslashes
well.

* Re: Could somebody please point me at a W32 makeinfo.exe.
@ 2004-08-28  9:16         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-28  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com>
> Date: 27 Aug 2004 17:30:37 +0200
>
> I have used many of these tools and they seem to work
> great. Anyone that have compared them?
>
> http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

Sounds better, but note that many packages were ported from quite old
versions (e.g., Fileutils 3.16), and some useful programs, like `df',
are dummies.