On Aug 6, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote: > I don't use gcc-4.2 anymore, but I've never seen such problems with it > on GNU/Linux while using it. > > How did you determine that gcc-4.2 is the problem? See Ian Eure's post to bug 3708 for this. He installed GCC 4.2 on a 10.5 machine and obtained similar results. The error messages differ at times, but they do that on the 10.6 machine that I tried it on, too. (Building with 4.0 on 10.5 works fine.) > Did you try different versions of gcc on the same machine, keeping the > same version of binutils, and only gcc-4.2 had problems? Ian, from your message, it looks like this is what you did, right? > Have you tried compiling with -O0 ? Did you also have problems when > using -O0 ? Yes, I use -O0 routinely, including in the bug report.