all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to Tramp with ssh and sudo?
@ 2020-01-08 13:42 Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-01-08 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Need some help with Tramp. I know that to access a remote file the path
is

/ssh:user@host:/path/to/file

For privileged file on local machine, it is

/sudo::/path/to/file

I want to combine the above two i.e. I want to access a privileged file
on a remote machine. What is the path for that?

Regards
--
Pankaj Jangid

* Re: How to Tramp with ssh and sudo?
@ 2020-01-08 13:53 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2020-01-08 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

/ssh:user@host|/sudo:host:/path/to/file

> Regards

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: How to Tramp with ssh and sudo?
@ 2020-01-10  9:08   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-01-10  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> /ssh:user@host|/sudo:host:/path/to/file

I typed exactly this with appropriate user and host values. But this
didn't work. My remote host is a raspbery-pi

C-x C-f /ssh:pi@192.168.0.3|/sudo:192.168.0.3:/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf <RET>

This didn't work.

Regards
--

@ 2020-01-10  9:22     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-01-10  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 09:08:40AM +0000, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
> > /ssh:user@host|/sudo:host:/path/to/file
>
> I typed exactly this with appropriate user and host values. But this
> didn't work. My remote host is a raspbery-pi
>
> C-x C-f /ssh:pi@192.168.0.3|/sudo:192.168.0.3:/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf <RET>
>
> This didn't work.

How does your "not work" look, exactly? Any error messages? Emacs
hangs? It gives you an empty buffer and says it's a new file?

Hint: the more details you give, the more you help others help you :)

Cheers
-- tomás

* Re: How to Tramp with ssh and sudo?
@ 2020-01-10  9:23     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2020-01-10  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net> writes:

> I typed exactly this with appropriate user and host values. But this
> didn't work. My remote host is a raspbery-pi
>
> /ssh:pi@192.168.0.3|/sudo:192.168.0.3:/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

D'oh! There's a typo.

/ssh:pi@192.168.0.3|sudo:192.168.0.3:/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

> Regards

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: How to Tramp with ssh and sudo?
@ 2020-01-10 11:43       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-01-10 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I typed exactly this with appropriate user and host values. But this
>> didn't work. My remote host is a raspbery-pi
>>
>> /ssh:pi@192.168.0.3|/sudo:192.168.0.3:/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> D'oh! There's a typo.
>
> /ssh:pi@192.168.0.3|sudo:192.168.0.3:/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Best!!!

This worked. Thanks a lot, Michael.

Regards,
--

@ 2020-01-10 11:47       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-01-10 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
>> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>> > /ssh:user@host|/sudo:host:/path/to/file
>>
>> I typed exactly this with appropriate user and host values. But this
>> didn't work. My remote host is a raspbery-pi
>>
>> C-x C-f
>> /ssh:pi@192.168.0.3|/sudo:192.168.0.3:/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>> <RET>
>>
>> This didn't work.
>
> How does your "not work" look, exactly? Any error messages? Emacs
> hangs? It gives you an empty buffer and says it's a new file?

Really sorry about that. Actually, I copied the message but forgot to
yank in the message buffer before sending. The problem got solved with
Michael's help. But the message in the message area was

M-x make-directory <RET> <RET> to create the directory and its parents

Regards,
--

@ 2020-01-10 13:50         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-01-10 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)