all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* lisp evaluation command
@ 2009-01-14 12:50 moueza
From: moueza @ 2009-01-14 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

hi,
C-j unavailable for me, what is the minibuffer equivalent command for C-j ?

* Re: lisp evaluation command
@ 2009-01-14 13:04 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-01-14 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

moueza <mouezapeter@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

the "lisp evaluation command" which always works is:

,----[ C-h k C-x C-e ]

`----

> C-j unavailable for me, what is the minibuffer equivalent command for
> C-j ?

In lisp modes that's `eval-print-last-sexp'.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Inside every program  Richard Stallman writes there is  a compiler for a
new language he just created.

* Re: lisp evaluation command
       [not found] <mailman.4832.1231937444.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-14 19:30 ` Xah Lee
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4901.1232005634.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-01-14 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 14, 4:50 am, moueza <mouezape...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> C-j unavailable for me, what is the minibuffer equivalent command for C-j ?

in emacs, there are systematic ways to find out which shortcut is
associated with which command, and which command has what shortcuts.

This is describe-key and describe-function.

For detail, see:

• Tips on Long Term Emacs Productivity
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/effective_emacs.html

In lisp modes, there are several commands to eval lisp code. Each has
a shortcut, and you may also define alias so you can type less.

(defalias 'eb 'eval-buffer)
(defalias 'er 'eval-region)
(defalias 'ee 'eval-expression)
(defalias 'elm 'emacs-lisp-mode)
(defalias 'eis 'elisp-index-search)

The C-j you mentioned is not a shortcut for any of them in any lisp
mode i know of.

• Tips For Editing Lisp Code With Emacs
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_editing_lisp.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: lisp evaluation command
@ 2009-01-15  7:46   ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4901.1232005634.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-01-15  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

> in emacs, there are systematic ways to find out which shortcut is
> associated with which command, and which command has what shortcuts.
>
> This is describe-key and describe-function.

Exactly, and by default they're bound to `C-h k' and `C-h f'.

> The C-j you mentioned is not a shortcut for any of them in any lisp
> mode i know of.

Nope, `C-j' is bound to `eval-print-last-sexp' in all lisp modes (elisp,
common lisp, I guess scheme, too).

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Richard Stallman's left and right hands are named "(" and ")"

* Re: lisp evaluation command
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4901.1232005634.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-15  8:13     ` Teemu Likonen
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4919.1232020169.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-01-15  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn (2009-01-15 08:46 +0100) wrote:

> Nope, `C-j' is bound to `eval-print-last-sexp' in all lisp modes
> (elisp, common lisp, I guess scheme, too).

No, C-j is newline-and-indent in Lisp modes which are meant for
programming. But in lisp-interaction-mode it does eval-print-last-sexp.

* Re: lisp evaluation command
@ 2009-01-15 11:49       ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4919.1232020169.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-01-15 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

Hi Teemu,

>> Nope, `C-j' is bound to `eval-print-last-sexp' in all lisp modes
>> (elisp, common lisp, I guess scheme, too).
>
> No, C-j is newline-and-indent in Lisp modes which are meant for
> programming. But in lisp-interaction-mode it does
> eval-print-last-sexp.

Ups, you're right.  That's a local customization I have in my .emacs.
Shame on me!

Bye,
Tassilo
--
RMS counted to infinity. Twice...

* Re: lisp evaluation command
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4919.1232020169.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-22 16:41         ` mouezapeter
From: mouezapeter @ 2009-01-22 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 15, 12:49 pm, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Teemu Likonen <tliko...@iki.fi> writes:
>
> Hi Teemu,
>
> >> Nope, `C-j' is bound to `eval-print-last-sexp' in all lisp modes
> >> (elisp, common lisp, I guess scheme, too).
>
> > No, C-j is newline-and-indent in Lisp modes which are meant for
> > programming. But in lisp-interaction-mode it does
> > eval-print-last-sexp.
>
> Ups, you're right.  That's a local customization I have in my .emacs.
> Shame on me!
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo
> --