all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Undo only upto a certain point
@ 2009-02-27 20:11 deech
       [not found] ` <mailman.2011.1235770513.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: deech @ 2009-02-27 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
Is there a way to undo only upto a certain point and no further. I
frequently run into this problem when I want to undo a large # of
changes (> 50) made using a keyboard macro. Right now I hold down
C-/ , try to time it out just right and frequently fail. Is there a
better way?

-deech

* RE: Undo only upto a certain point
@ 2009-02-27 21:35 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.2011.1235770513.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-02-27 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'deech', help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a way to undo only upto a certain point and no further. I
> frequently run into this problem when I want to undo a large # of
> changes (> 50) made using a keyboard macro. Right now I hold down
> C-/ , try to time it out just right and frequently fail. Is there a
> better way?

You can undo N steps only, by providing N as a prefix arg.
For example, `C-u 100 C-/' undoes 100 steps.

@ 2009-02-27 21:58   ` deech
From: deech @ 2009-02-27 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 27, 3:35 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> You can undo N steps only, by providing N as a prefix arg.
> For example, `C-u 100 C-/' undoes 100 steps.

Unfortunately I frequently don't know how many steps need to be
undone. Is there a way of viewing a list of changes (maybe in another
buffer), setting a mark and undo everything upto that point?

@ 2009-02-27 22:47     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-02-27 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'deech', help-gnu-emacs

> > You can undo N steps only, by providing N as a prefix arg.
> > For example, `C-u 100 C-/' undoes 100 steps.
>
> Unfortunately I frequently don't know how many steps need to be
> undone. Is there a way of viewing a list of changes (maybe in another
> buffer), setting a mark and undo everything upto that point?

Dunno. You might find happiness here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryUndo